"Betrayal: How Black Intellectuals Have Abandoned the Ideals of the Civil Rights Era"
The Bunche Center for African American Studies presents a talk and book signing by Houston A. Baker, Jr.
Professor Baker is a Distinguished University Professor at Vanderbilt University. His presentation is part of the Bunche Center Authors' Series.
Upcoming events at the Bunche Center:
Thursday, April 17 -- 12 - 1 PM, 135 Haines Hall
- "A Discussion with Elaine Brown"
- Elaine Brown is an author, activist, and 2008 Thurgood Marshall Lecturer.
Thursday, April 17 -- 12:15 - 1:45 PM, 2343/2355 Public Affairs Bldg.
- William Julius Wilson discusses "Social Structure and Culture in the Study of the Black Family"
- Professor Wilson is the Lewis P. and Linda L. Geyser University Professor at Harvard University.
Thursday, April 17 -- 5:30 - 9 PM, UCLA Covel Commons
- "2008 Thurgood Marshall Lecture and Dinner"
- Elaine Brown will deliver the address at the annual Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies Thurgood Marshall Lecture and Dinner.
- THIS IS A TICKETED EVENT -- For ticket availability contact the Bunche Center at 310-206-8267 or visit www.bunche.ucla.edu
Friday, April 18 -- 12:30 - 1:30 PM, 135 Haines Hall
- "Graduate Writing Workshop"
- William Epps, UCLA Lecturer and Administrator will conduct the workshop.
Friday, April 25 -- 2 - 4 PM, 135 Haines Hall
- Irene Flecknoe Ross Lecture Series: "A Post-Genomic Surprise: The Molecular Reinscription of Race in Clinical Medicine and Forensic Science"
- Troy Duster, Professor, Department of Sociology, New York University, will present the lecture.
Friday, May 9 -- 12 - 1 PM, 135 Haines Hall
- Bunche Center Circle of Thought: "Still A Child of God: Contradictions and Cohesion in the Negotiation of Community Life for Black Gay Women"
- Mignon Moore, UCLA Assistant Professor, Afro-American Studies and Sociology, will present this lecture.
Friday, May 16 -- 7 - 9 PM, Hammer Museum
- Lani Guinier will discuss "Meritocracy, Inc. How Wealth Became Merit, Class Became Race and Higher Education Became a Gift from the Poor to the Rich"
- Lani Guinier is a professor in the School of Law at Harvard University.
Friday, May 30 -- 2 - 4 PM, 135 Haines Hall
- Gerald Wilson Living Legends Lecture Series: "A Discussion with Gerald Wilson"
- Gerald Wilson is an adjunct assistant professor in the UCLA Department of Ethnomusicology.
Wednesday, June 4 -- 12 - 1 PM, 135 Haines Hall
- Bunche Center Circle of Thought: "The Environmental Justice Movement: NAACP, National Urban League, and Secondary Marginalization"
- Sonya Winston, UCLA IAC Postdoctoral Fellow, will present.
Date: Thursday, April 10, 2008
Time: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Room 193, Humanities Bldg. (formerly Kinsey Hall)
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Cost: Free and open to the public; pay-by-space and all-day parking ($8) is available in lot 2.
For more information please contact
Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies
Sponsor(s): Bunche Center for African American Studies
© 2013 UCLA Center for African Studies. All rights reserved.
To print this page, select "Print" from the File menu of your browser.