Young people make up almost a fifth of the worlds population. Close to 85% of the 1.1 billion young men and women between the ages of 15 and 24 live in developing countries.
Rapid population growth, the unavailability of housing and support services, poverty, unemployment and underemployment among youth, the decline in the authority of local communities, overcrowding in poor urban areas, the disintegration of the family, and ineffective educational systems are some of the new pressures young people must deal with. This forum will examine the issues facing young people today and explore the increased global phenomena of youth involvement in violenceboth as perpetrators and victims along with prescriptions and new approaches.
Social Justice – Moderated by Alex Sanchez, Homies Unidos
Tshaka Barrows (Community Justice Network for Youth) - “US and Cuba: Youth & Social Justice System”
Julie Peteet (University of Louisville) – “Palestinian Youth in the refugee camps”
Juan Pacheco (Barrios Unidos) - “Tran-nationalization of Youth Gangs”
Culture and Technology - Moderated by Cheryl L. Keyes, LA
Gregory (beef) Jones (The Run Group) - “Hip-Hop, Culture and Technology”
Ben Herson (Nomadic Wax) - “African Underground: Exploring, Youth, Hip-Hop, Technology & Social Change in Africa”
Malia Lazu (The Gathering for Justice) - “Youth Mobilization”
Ysamur Flores Pena (OTIS College of Art & Design) - New Approaches to Youth and Urban Violence
“‘Homeboy’ Histories” class projects from OTIS College of Art & Design class
Parking and Directions
1. From the 405 Freeway, exit on Sunset Blvd. Proceed EAST on Sunset Blvd. and enter the campus by turning RIGHT onto Westwood Blvd.
2. Proceed straight into underground Parking Structure/Information Kiosk 4.
3. Purchase a parking permit for the Sunset Village (PSV) lot from the attendant at lot 4. Parking permits are $9 per day and are good for only one lot (i.e., you may not move your car to another lot without paying an additional charge).
4. Proceed to the Sunset Village (PSV) area by exiting Parking Structure 4 and making a LEFT on Charles Young Dirve North.
5. Proceed up the hill to the PSV (Sunset Village) parking structure. Make a RIGHT at Charles Young Drive West (first intersection). The structure will be on your left.
6. Take the elevator or stairs (located in the southwest corner of the parking garage) to the Lobby level (L). The Covel Commons building will be directly in front of you as you exit the elevator.
7. Approach the building and turn RIGHT and walk along the outside of the Covel Commons building. Turn LEFT at the corner of the building and proceed to the entrance.
Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009
Time: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Cost: Free and open to the public
African Studies Center
Sponsor(s): African Studies Center, Center for Near Eastern Studies, Latin American Institute, French and Francophone Studies, USA for Africa