Carnaval UCLA! A World Tribute to New Orleans
Don your costumes and masks and join in the fun as the UCLA Fowler Museum celebrates Carnaval.
Saturday, April 08, 2006
12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Fowler Museum of Cultural History
enter Westwood & Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90095
In conjunction with the Fowler exhibition on Carnaval, the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History hosts a day of art, food, music, dance, costumes, face painting, and even a parade.
Let the good time roll!
12 - 1 PM -- Art Workshops
Prep for the parade with these activities:
- Create a noisemaker to shake, rattle and roll along the parade route.
- Turn your head into a towering work of art at the hat-making station.
- Paint a lantern with the RatzClique from Basel, Switzerland.
1 - 2:30 PM -- Campus Parade
March in the Carnival procession along with these performance troupes:
- RatzClique, a thirty-person fife-and-drum corps from Switzerland
- Stilt Walkers who'll glide through the route from twenty feet in the air
- Los Angeles Carnival On Tour, a Caribbean delight
- And many more!
Costume competition with cash prizes! To march in the procession as a group, download a registration form at www.fowler.ucla.edu or call 310-825-9672. Participants of all ages are welcome!
2:30 - 5 PM -- Live Stage Performances
- Ricardo Lemvo and Makina Loca, a vibrant synthesis of Latin American salsa and African soukous, when Ricardo Lemvo and Makina Loca take the stage you can't help but dance!
- Los Angeles Carnival On Tour, dancers in full regalia shake it to live Caribbean calypso and soca music.
3 PM -- Guided Tour of the Carnaval! Exhibition - meet in the Fowler lobby
Also scheduled - face painting, raffle prizes - including a chance to win a flight to Brazil - food booths - featuring flavors from around the world, including New Orleans' specialties beignets and more.
All Day: Open Galleries - Enjoy spectacular costumes, masks, photographs, and videos of Carnival celebrations around the world, including a final gallery dedicated to New Orleans.
Wednesday - Sunday, noon - 5 PM
Thursday until 8 PM
Closed Monday and Tuesday
Cost: Free and open to the public; parking is available in lot 4 for $8.
Convenient Fowler parking is at the northeast or southeast ends of lot 4.
For more information please contact
Fowler Museum of Cultural History Tel: 310-825-4361
Sponsor(s): Fowler Museum at UCLA