An Introduction to Islam
A Group Project Abroad (GPA) by Shondale J. Pagano
Subjects: Geography, Culture, Global History, Language Arts, Social Studies
Duration of Lessons:4-5 45-minute periods
Overview of Lesson Plan: In this lesson, students learn about Islam in general, and in particular,
Islam in Morocco. By reading and analyzing articles specific to Moroccan Islam, students will
gain insight on how Islam is practiced in Morocco. Students begin the lesson by discussing
stereotypes, then will read a short article on Islam. Next, students view a short documentary on
Islam and one on Muslim Americans. Students complete the unit by creating a poster designed
to introduce the general American public to Islam.
- Consider and analyze some common misconceptions people from other places have about their respective cultures.
- Consider and analyze some common misconceptions Americans have about Islam and the Muslim world.
- Generate a KWL chart, and fill in as unit progresses.
- Investigate, and dismantle misconceptions about the Muslim world.
- Create posters about various aspects of Islam, based on information they have gathered in their
readings and class discussions.
Published: Monday, October 25, 2010