FLAS Fellowship Guidelines for European and Eurasian Studies
Important Information for FLAS Fellowship Applicants
Published: Tuesday, November 30, 2004
2005-2006 FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND AREA STUDIES FELLOWSHIPS FOR EUROPEAN LANGUAGE AND AREA STUDIES
Graduate students who are US citizens, nationals, or permanent residents and are accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a program that combines modern foreign language training with international or area studies or with the international aspects of other fields of study.
Year Fellowship: $14,000 stipend, including full tuition and fees.
- Languages: Armenian, Czech, French, German, Italian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, and Uzbek.
- Must be a full-time student enrolled in both a year-long language course and an area studies course each quarter.
- Dissertation research: only students who are at the advanced level of language proficiency can be approved to use a FLAS for dissertation research abroad.
- Final approval by the Department of Education
Summer Fellowship: $2,400 stipend and up to $3,600 tuition for Summer 2004 intensive language programs in both the United States and abroad.
- Formal domestic programs of intensive languages study at the beginning, intermediate or advanced level; or
- Formal overseas programs of intensive language study at the intermediate or advanced level ; or
- Formal overseas programs of intensive study at the beginning level of languages for which appropriate equivalent instruction is not available in the US
- Intensive summer language programs are those which offer a minimum of 120 contact hours of advanced-level language instruction and 140 contact hours of beginning- or intermediate-level instruction. In order to be considered intensive, summer language programs must last a minimum of 6 weeks; longer programs are preferable.
- Languages: all languages of the region – European, including Eurasian languages of the former Soviet Union.
For application requirements, please download load the application forms:
- Academic Year FLAS Application form: HTML or PDF
- Summer FLAS Application form: HTML or PDF
- Language Proficiency Evaluation form: HTML or PDF