Faculty Grants in International and Regional Studies, Guidelines 2007-08
The UCLA International Institute will offer a limited number of mid-sized grants to faculty projects that will serve to advance internationally-oriented research, teaching, and outreach. Applications will be accepted and awards granted each quarter.
Published: Monday, November 26, 2007
- Fall Quarter: December 7, 2007
- Winter Quarter: March 3, 2008
- Spring Quarter: May 2, 2008
The UCLA International Institute will offer a limited number of individual grants to faculty projects that will serve to advance internationally-oriented research, teaching, and outreach. Applications will be accepted and granted each quarter, with award announcements and fund disbursements to be made in the quarter subsequent to the application period.
- At least one of the Principal Investigators must hold a ladder UCLA faculty appointment; junior faculty members are particularly encouraged to apply. Although those who hold non-teaching or visiting appointments are not eligible to apply, ladder faculty may propose as co-PIs individuals affiliated with other (especially foreign) institutions. The Institute Selection Committee will normally award funding up to $10,000. Well justified longer-term projects may also be considered.
- Applications should be made for research in one or more of the following areas: regional and cross-regional studies, multi-disciplinary international issues; themes of globalization and transnational exchange.
- Please email an application not to exceed two pages to German Esparza email@example.com. The application should state the following:
- Name, title, and department of Principal Investigator(s); other collaborators, if any;
- Brief description of the project: Objectives and expected outcome and/or deliverables; anticipated timetable for the project (normally one year or less). For a conference or colloquium, state proposed speakers, participants, and targeted audience.
- Other funding sources, if any.
- Itemized budget.
- Exclusions: Equipment and faculty salaries will not be funded by this program.
- A sub-committee of the International Institute Faculty Advisory Committee will review the applications to select projects for funding. Notification of awards will be made within four weeks after the deadline dates. The award will be transferred to the home department of the applicant(s) shortly afterwards.
- Projects awarded these grants must acknowledge the UCLA International Institute as a co-sponsor in all programs and public information materials.
- Upon completion of the project, the grantee(s) must submit a short email report regarding the outcome of the project.
Please direct inquiries to:
Germn Esparza, Telephone: 825-5133, firstname.lastname@example.org