Applying to the Graduate Program
Information regarding application and financial assistance.
Published: Monday, October 02, 2006
Note that the East Asian Studies graduate program offers a Master's degree (M.A.) only. There is no PhD in East Asian Studies offered at UCLA.
General admissions information, instructions about applying, and the online application for admission can be found at UCLA’s Graduate Division Website.
Applications are only accepted for Fall term. The deadline to apply to the East Asian Studies interdepartmental graduate program is December 1. All applicants must apply electronically for graduate admission. The applicants will be notified about the admission decision by mid-March.
All materials must be complete before the application is considered.
The following materials are required components of the admission application:
- Statement of purpose (maximum two pages, double space). Statement of purpose should describe academic, East Asia-related and/or professional experience
- Three letters of recommendation
- Graduate Record Examination scores (use Institution Code 4837)
- Official transcript. An unofficial transcript may be uploaded via on-line admission application, however, we require one copy of official transcript to be sent to the program's office in a sealed envelope. If transcript is not in English, an authorized translation has to be provided.
- Writing sample (up to 10 pages long) is not mandatory, but strongly recommended
- TOEFL scores (international applicants only). Applicants who hold a degree from a university located in U.S. or another country where English is both a primary spoken language and the language of instruction, or who have completed at least two years of full time study at such institution are not required to submit TOEFL scores. For more information please review English Requirements page.
- UCLA's Asia Institute offers funding opportunities for students studying Asia
- UCLA's Graduate Division offers student support through fellowships, grants, scholarships and loans
East Asian Studies M.A. Program Inquiries:
Telephone: (310) 206-6571
UCLA International Institute IDPs
East Asian Studies Graduate Admissions
10373 Bunche Hall