Pre-dissertation Fellowships at East China Normal University, Shanghai
Pre-dissertation fellowships at ECNU for UCLA graduate students
The Asia Institute is offering pre-dissertation fellowships in 2010-2011 for graduate students enrolled at UCLA working on any subject that will involve research in China to attend classes and study with faculty at East China Normal University (ECNU) in Shanghai for three to six months. Graduate students who have not yet advanced to candidacy and who intend to apply at a future date for dissertation research grants are eligible. This year, one fellowship will be awarded.
The ECNU pre-dissertation fellowships are intended to give graduate students whose dissertations will involve work in and on China an opportunity to do pre-dissertation research drawing on the academic and intellectual resources and scholarship offered at one of China’s most highly regarded universities. Applicants and their advisors are responsible for identifying and making initial contacts with counterparts at ECNU either through existing contacts or through the ECNU web site. It is expected that students and their departments will continue to engage with and to develop the contacts they make at ECNU as they go on to carry out dissertation research and writing as well as in their future careers.
Awards will cover
- Housing on the ECNU campus
- Monthly stipend of up to $500
- Up to $1,000 toward travel costs
Students will register as UCLA students for the quarters they are in residence at ECNU, and are responsible for paying UCLA tuition and fees. Students will receive UCLA credit for course work at ECNU.
- Statement of purpose (maximum 3 pages) describing the proposed subject of research, the nature of and the sources of the data to be used in the course of research in China, and the name and departmental affiliation of the contact at ECNU
- Two faculty recommendations, at least one of which addresses the applicant’s suitability for graduate coursework in the Chinese language.
- Current CV
- Proposed budget
- Additional support the candidate has applied for (source and amounts)
Applications by e-mail are preferred to Nick Menzies at email@example.com. Please use the phrase “ECNU Pre-dissertation grants” in the subject line.
Amount: Up to $4000
Number of Awards: 1
For more info please contact:
Nick Menzies, Assistant Director
Published: Thursday, September 04, 2008