2006-2007 Taiwan Scholarships for U.S. Citizens
TECRO offers scholarships for undergrads, master's students, and Ph.D. students to study in Taiwan.
The TECRO 2006-2007 Taiwan Scholarship for U.S. Citizens
Basic Scholarship Data
Grantor: Cultural Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the U.S.A.
No. of Scholarships offered: Two (2)
Types of Scholarships and Benefits:
(1) Undergraduate Scholarships: These scholarships are for foreign students who want to pursue undergraduate studies at universities/colleges in Taiwan. A stipend of NT$25,000 per month per student will be provided.
(2) Master's Scholarships: Scholarships in the amount of NT$30,000 per month will be provided for qualified foreign students who want to pursue their masterfs degree at a university or college in Taiwan.
(3) Ph.D. Scholarships: Scholarships in the amount of NT$30,000 per month will be provided for qualified foreign students who want to pursue their Ph.D. degree at a university in Taiwan.
Closing Date for Receipt of Applications: March 31, 2007.
Notification of the Results of the Competition: Late April 2007--- Notification of Scholarship status will be provided by TECRO directly to candidates between April and May 2007. After receiving the notification, awardees should apply to a university with an approved admission letter.
Citizenship: United States.(Applicants cannot simultaneously possess USA and ROC nationalities. Also, overseas Chinese students with U.S. citizenship may not apply for this scholarship.)
Academic Preparation: Applicants need to submit the following documents:
(1) Taiwan Scholarship Application Form with Study Plan
(2) Proof of highest educational qualifications and academic performanceFmust have a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale
(3) Proof of application to enroll at local universities/colleges
(4) Must have sufficient Chinese language proficiency in speaking and listening to be able to satisfy survival needs and maintain a very limited conversation on familiar topics; sufficient comprehension to read very simple connected written material in a form equivalent to usual printing and typescript.
Health: A student selected for a scholarship is required to have a pre-departure medical examination, the result of which must indicate that awarder is physically and psychologically health. This examination must include a test of inflectous diseases including the HIV virus. Recommended candidates will be instructed about the exam after award notification.
Cost Sharing: Scholarship recipients are responsible for all housing, tuition fees, health insurance, and travel costs.
"Procedures for Foreign Students to Taiwan Universities/Colleges" can be downloaded from http://www.studyintaiwan.org/application-step
For additional information, go to www.moetwdc.org/English/index.html, or contact:
Hai-ying Shen, 1 202 895-1925.
Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2006