The University of California at Los Angeles is pleased to announce a conference to highlight new understandings on the transnational character of Vietnamese Studies on May 11-12, 2001.
'Vietnam: Beyond the Frontiers' will serve as a forum to build relationships between Vietnamese and Western scholars, Vietnamese and Vietnamese-American Studies, graduate students and established scholars, and across methodological boundaries. This conference is premised on the assumption that intellectual interaction between these areas will help to forge new directions in the field. Panels will represent a broad range of topics that approach the study of Viet Nam across methodological and spatial boundaries.
|Friday, 11 May 2001
314 Royce Hall
- Opening Remarks
Prof Anthony Reid
Director, Center for Southeast Asian Studies, UCLA
- Key Note Address:
"Etat actuel de la recherche des
villages au Viet Nam: resultats et perspectives"
Prof Phan Huy Le, Ha Noi National University
|Panel 1: New Light on Dai Viet Sources
- "Le Van Huu and Ngo Si Lien: a Comparison of their Perception of
Yu Insun, Seoul National University
- "Chinese Military Technology and Dai Viet,
Sun Lai Chen, Cal-State, Fullerton
- "Beyond the Myth of Women's Equality: Inheritance & Succession in
the Le and Village Codes"
Nhung Tuyet Tran, UCLA
- Discussant: John Whitmore, University of Michigan
An Eighteenth Century Crossroad?
- "The 18th century Mekong delta and its world of Water Frontier"
Li Tana, University of Wollogong
- "One Region, Two Histories: Cross-Cultural Maritime Trade in the
Thu Bon Basin (Hoi An),
c. 2nd century BCE-c. 18th century CE"
- "Great Qing and Eighteenth Century Viet Nam: Materials in the Qing
John E. Wills, USC
- "Transnationalism and Multi-ethnicity in the Early Gia-Long Period"
Wynn Wilcox, Cornell University
- Discussant: Anthony Reid, UCLA
|Saturday, 12 May 2001
362 Royce Hall
|Panel 3: "Destins Croises": Viet & French
- "Recasting Pigneau de Behaine: French Missionaries and the Politics
of Writing Colonial History,
James P. Daughton, UCB
- "La Trace Lumiere: the Impact of Early Cinema in Redefining Indochina
in the French
- "Strangers in a Foreign Land: Vietnamese Soldiers and Workers in
France during World War
Kim-Loan Hill, UCSD
- "Educating Women: Vietnamese Women in French Colonial Normal Schools"
Micheline R. Lessard, University
- Discussant: Peter Zinoman, UCB
Vietnamese Religion Across Time & Space
- "Crossing Oceans, Crossing Boundaries: the Remarkable Life of Philiphe
George Dutton, University of Washington
- "The Mother Goddess Religion in Viet Nam: Tradition and Renovation"
Ngo Duc Thinh, Institute of
- "Vietnamese Spirit Possession as Ritual & Performance"
Nguyen Thi Hien, Indiana University
- "Home and Homeland after Exile:
Vietnamese Buddhism in Transnational
Doug Padgett, Indiana University
- Discussant: Cuong Tu Nguyen, George Mason University
Panel 5: Globalization & Transnational
- "RMIT International University Viet Nam: An Innovative Vision for
Developing Vietnamese Studies"
Nguyen Xuan Thu, RMIT University
- "The Globalization of (New) Reproductive Technologies: Daily Practice
and Local Interpretations
of Infertility Treatments in Northern
Melissa J. Pashigian,
- "Transnational Linkages in Work & Gender: Vietnamese Workers in Electronics & Garment
Angie Ngoc Tran, Cal-State
- "Going Global: Vietnamese Artists Abroad"
Nora Taylor, Arizona State
- Discussant: Thu Huong Nguyen Vo, Cal-State Los Angeles
Framing the Diasporic Selves
- "Healing and Dividing: the Westminster Viet Nam War Memorial"
Jessica Breiteneicher, UCLA
- "Normalized Suffering: Vietnamese Transnational Gendered Subjectivities"
Kieu Linh Caroline Valverde,
- "Twice a Minority: a Participatory Study of the Chinese-Vietnamese
Adaptation Experiences in Viet Nam
and the U.S."
Minh Hoa Ta, San
Francisco State University
- Discussant: Linda Vo, UCI
UCLA Centers for Southeast Asian Studies, Comparative and Interdisciplinary Research
on Asia (CIRA),
the Department of History;
and Cathay Pacific.
Nhung Tuyet Tran, Department of History
Published: Thursday, November 14, 2002