Professor Stuart Schwartz, Yale University
Professor Stuart Schwartz (Department of History,
"Neither King Nor People: Processions and the Representation of Power in Slave Society.
Author of several books, including:
• Sovereignty and Society in Colonial
• Sugar Plantations in the Formation of Brazilian Society:
• Slaves, Peasants, and Rebels: Reconsidering Brazilian Slavery.
• Iberian Mediterranean and Atlantic Traditions in the Formation of
• Tropical Babylons: Sugar and the Making of the Atlantic world, 1450-1680 (editor).
• Early Latin America: a History of Colonial Spanish America and
• World Civilizations: the Global Experience (with
This talk is part of the ongoing series "Ethnicity and Difference in Latin America" a Working Group sponsored by the Latin American Center.
Cost: Free and open to the public
© 2013. The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.