- Tribal Nation: The Making of Soviet Turkmenistan
A book presentation by author ADRIENNE EDGAR, UC Santa Barbara, History.
- Off the Radar Screen: The Unacknowledged Struggle to Protect Kosova's Islamic Traditions
A public lecture by ISA BLUMI, Georgia State University, History. The lecture is part of the ISLAM IN THE BALKANS series.
- Gunter Grass' Peeling the Onion
A book talk with translator MICHAEL HEIM, UCLA Slavic Languages and Literatures, and discussant HANS WAGENER, UCLA Germanic Languages
- Austria's Role in Central and Eastern Europe
A public lecture by PAUL LENDVAI, Austrian Journalist, with an introduction by Ivan Berend, UCLA History.
- The Social Bases of Reform and Anti-Reform: A Comparative Study of Ukraine and Russia
A public lecture by DAVID LANE, University of Cambridge, Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
- Headscarves and Hotpants: Islam, Secularism and Women's Fashion in Southeastern Europe
A public lecture by KRISTEN GHODSEE, Bowdoin College, Gender and Women's Studies. The lecture is part of the ISLAM IN THE BALKANS series organized by CEES and CNES.
- Scholarship in the Digital Age: Information, Infrastructure and the Internet
A CEES faculty lecture by CHRISTINE BORGMAN, UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
- Sheherezada in Exile, or Writing Across the Borders: The Case of Dubravka Ugresic
A public lecture by JASMINA LUKIC, Central European University, Budapest, Gender Studies
- Stone Records and Parallel Universes: Music and Globalization in Turkey
A CEES faculty lecture by MUNIR BEKEN, UCLA Ethnomusicology
- Strangers Nowhere in the World: The Rise of Cosmopolitanism in Early Modern Europe
A book talk with author MARGARET JACOB, UCLA History, and discussant DAVID HOLLINGER, UC Berkeley History