Skip Navigation

Southeast Asian Studies Majors/Minors

Information for Southeast Asian Studies Majors and Minors planning to study abroad through EAP.

Where to go

EAP currently offers programs in the following Southeast Asian countries:

The UC Education Abroad Program also offers three special features to help you choose the right program.

  • The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
  • The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken and submitted for approval by UC students.
  • An up-to-date list of pre-approved EAP courses will soon be available.

What classes to take

All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your major/minor department has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific major requirements.

Courses are approved on a case by case basis. Before going abroad, students should discuss with the department advisor which EAP courses the department will approve for credit toward a major or minor. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.

EAP Coursework Guidelines for Southeast Asian Studies Major/Minor

Note: the following guidelines are subject to change. Please see your major/minor advisor for up-to-date information.

EAP Unit Limits for Major/Minor

  • Total number of EAP Upper Division Units that can be applied: No limit
  • Total number of EAP Lower Division Units that can be applied: No limit
  • Total number of EAP Combined Upper and Lower Division Units: No limit
  • Total number of EAP Units that can be used to fulfill a language requirement: No limit

Grade Requirements

  • Major: A grade of C or above will receive credit.
  • Minor: A grade of D- or above will receive credit.

Special Note for SE Asian Studies Minors

  • Students are eligible to earn course credit (4 units) towards their UD requirements by successfully completing Southeast Asian Studies 190 for a letter grade after they return to UCLA.

Southeast Asian Studies IDP Contact

Armita Parvizi
Undergraduate Advisor
Office: 10357 Bunche Hall
Telephone: (310) 825-5187
Department website

To print this page, select "Print" from the File menu of your browser.