Funding for research on Taiwan. Deadline: February 22, 2023. Applications are accepted on a quarterly basis.
The Asia Pacific Center offers awards to UCLA faculty for research and teaching on Taiwan studies. There is one application for all faculty awards, and each applicant will be considered for the awards that fit your proposed project. Faculty from any discipline may apply, but topics or methodologies that cross the humanities or social sciences are preferred.
Research funds may be used for travel, research assistant salary, publication editing or subvention costs, and materials.
Teaching funds may be used for course release or summer salary to develop, teach, or co-teach new courses on Taiwan studies, including travel study; research assistance; guest speaker fees; and stipends for supervising student research on Taiwan.
- Travel grants for research or presenting papers at scholarly meetings; research assistance on research projects or publications; mentorships supporting undergraduate or graduate research (up to $5,000)
- UCLA-NTNU Taiwan Studies Faculty Travel Grant to fund travel and living expenses for research or scholarly collaboration at National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) ($3,000)
- Faculty-led conferences and public programs on Taiwan (up to $15,000)
- Curriculum development grants for co-teaching a course or development of new courses on Taiwan (up to $11,000)
Visiting Scholar Funding
- Short-term visiting scholar from Taiwan to guest lecture, co-teach, or collaborate on research (up to $2,600)
- Visiting professor from Taiwan for one quarter for teaching or co-teaching a Taiwan studies course in an academic department and/or conducting collaborative research on Taiwan (up to $25,600)
- Brief proposal stating the significance, purpose, and expected outcome of your project and timeline
- Collaborating institutions and scholars in Taiwan
- Budget (including other funding secured or applied for) and justification
Applications will be accepted quarterly. Deadlines during the 2022–23 academic year are:
November 16, 2022 (for projects in winter/spring/summer 2023 or 2023–24 academic year)
February 22, 2023 (for projects in spring/summer 2023 or 2023–24 academic year)
May 3, 2023 (for projects in summer 2023 or 2023–24 academic year)
Apply for Taiwan Studies Faculty Research Funding
The Asia Pacific Center is grateful to the Taiwan Ministry of Education, National Taiwan Normal University, and the J. Yang and Family Foundation for their generous funding of these awards.
For more info please contact: