Funding for Chinese language and area studies. Deadline: February 24, 2021
The Asia Pacific Center (APC) Taiwan Studies Program recognizes the centrality of Chinese language and scholarship to Taiwan Studies, connecting the study of contemporary Taiwan both to the classical tradition from which it in part emerges and to the broader Asian region of which it is such a vital part. In order to prepare the next generation of scholars, policy makers, and business leaders for success in an increasingly globalized world, the APC offers scholarships to UCLA graduate and undergraduate students from disciplines spanning the Social and Physical Sciences, Humanities, and professional schools to attain advanced proficiency in Mandarin Chinese language (including reading/writing in traditional characters) and Taiwan studies.
Students may enroll in Chinese language courses through the Asian Languages & Cultures department, including intermediate and advanced (3rd and 4th year); advanced conversation, advanced reading; classical Chinese; or Chinese-English translation (using traditional characters). Students may also enroll in a language training program at a university in Taiwan.
- Summer fellowships for Mandarin Chinese language study (using traditional characters) are open to both undergraduate and graduate students. Only current UCLA students may apply (students beginning a degree program in fall 2021 are not eligible). Total amount: $7,000
- Academic year fellowships for Mandarin Chinese language and area studies are open to graduate students only. Both current UCLA students and new students (enrolling in a UCLA degree program starting fall 2021) may apply. Students must enroll in one Chinese language (using traditional characters) and one area studies course in any field each quarter or semester for the duration of the fellowship. Area studies courses must include at least 25% content focusing on China/Taiwan. This award includes in-state tuition and a stipend of $23,000.
Application materials include:
- Statement of purpose (2–3 pages in length)
- Unofficial UCLA transcript (minimum GPA of 3.0 required)
- One UCLA faculty letter of recommendation
Apply for the Taiwan in the World Chinese Language Fellowship
The Asia Pacific Center’s Taiwan in the World program is supported with funding from the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Deadline for 2021-2022: February 24, 2021
For more info please contact: