Screening of Nightline: A View from the Ground on the Killing in Northeast Africa with Actor Don Cheadle
John Prendergast, Special Advisor to the President for the International Crisis Group, speaks about his recent trip to Darfur and effective ways to take action on the crisis.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Crisis in Darfur: A Week of Awareness, A Call to Action
February 28 - March 3, 2005
The violence in the Darfur region of western Sudan intensified in 2003 when two groups, the Sudanese Liberation Movement and the Justice and Equality movement declared open rebellion against the government. Khartoum responded aggressively, allegedly backing the so-called jinjaweid militias (evil on horseback) which have committed crimes against humanity against citizens in Darfur. The UN reports that upwards of 70,000 have been killed in the conflict though other sources estimate that over 300,000 people have perished and 2.5 million have been displaced.
Tuesday, March 1, 6 - 8 PM, Moore 100
- Screening of 'Nightline: A View from the Ground on the Killing in Northeast Africa'
- Speakers: John Prendergast, Special Advisor to the President, International Crisis Group, discussing effective ways to take action on the crisis. (confirmed)
- Don Cheadle (invited)
Reception: 8 - 10 PM in Kerckhoff Patio
Wednesday, March 2, 6 - 8 PM, Bruin Walk
Plea for Peace -- Candlelight Vigil
A moment to remember the over 300,000 killed in Darfur and a plea for peace on behalf of those still suffering. Special speakers, spoken word, and images of Darfur.
Sponsor: United Arab Society
Thursday, March 3, 6 - 9 PM, Kerckhoff Grand Salon
Panel "Crisis in Darfur: Responding to Violence Against Women"
6 -9 PM, Kerckhoff Grand Salon
Edmond Keller, Moderator
- Sondra Hale, UCLA Anthropology, Chair Women?s Studies Dept.
- Georgette Gagnon, Deputy Director of Human Rights Watch, Africa Div.
- Suliman Giddo, Founder/President Darfur Peace Development
- Christine Nadori, MSF Board member (Doctors Without Borders)
Co-Sponsor: Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, UNICEF, Progressive Jewish Students? Association, Social Justice Alliance
Mock Refugee Camp -- Monday-Thursday (Court of Sciences, Dickson Plaza)
Speak Out and March -- Wednesday, 12 - 1 PM, Meyerhoff Park
Cost: Free and open to the public; parking is $7.
Parking is available in lot #6; go to parking booth on Westwood Blvd.