2014 Summer Research Program at Peking University
Students in sciences and engineering, eligible for summer research at PKU
Published: Wednesday, January 15, 2014
The ten week program between June 23 and August 29 is designed for UCLA students to participate in advanced research in science and engineering while gaining valuable international experience during the summer period. Each student is required to work in a research lab fulltime with PKU faculty and graduate student mentors on research projects jointly designed by their advisors at PKU and UCLA. Students also have the opportunity to take 4-hour Chinese classes every week and to participate in various sightseeing tours in and around Beijing during weekends.
- Dates: June 23 – August 29 (final dates by February, 2014)
- project arranged prior to arrival at PKU
- 2 progress reports
- one final report
- PPT presentation
- scientific poster (guidance available)
Chinese language learning
- Chinese class in Spring quarter at UCLA
- Chinese class in Summer at PKU
- Sightseeing on weekends
Students apply with an idea of the kind of research they would like to do at Peking University, and faculty with whom they would like to work. Once selected, JRI coordinates lab placement for each student. Students spend Spring quarter preparing for the program by taking the arranged Chinese class and communicating with their PKU lab on a research project and expectations.
JRI recommends flights out of LAX and SFO, but students are responsible for purchasing tickets independently. Scholarships include $1,000 intended for airfare.
Students are expected to live together in arranged housing, which may be a dorm or local hotel.
JRI holds two information sessions at UCLA - mid-March and early June.
JRI coordinates lodging on or near PKU campus.
Scholarships are distributed half in Spring, half in Summer. The money is intended for airfare, housing, and basic expenses.
- $3,500 for undergraduate students
- $4,000 for graduate students
- UCLA undergraduate and graduate students in the sciences, engineering, and medicine
- Undergraduate applicants should be in their 3rd or 4th year at the time of applying, with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Graduate students should have a minimum GPA of 3.3
- Applicants must have experience performing research in a laboratory at UCLA
- Chinese language background is not required
- CV or resume
- Letter of recommendation from a UCLA faculty member in sciences or engineering. Preferably the recommender is an advisor who can speak to your work in a lab and doing research. If the recommender is not a member of JRI, please inform email@example.com and the professor will be contacted about the program.
- The name of a PKU faculty member whose lab you would be interested to work in over the summer
- Personal statement indicating research interests, why this experience in China is important to you, and commitment to spending ten weeks at PKU during summer 2014
Other funding resources
- UCLA Study Abroad's International Eduction Office, http://ieo.ucla.edu/scholarships
- 100,000 Strong Scholarship, http://ieo.ucla.edu/scholarships/china
11:59pm February 23, 2014 http://apply.international.ucla.edu/User/ViewForm.aspx?appID=758
For more info please contact: