Skip Navigation

Monbusho Fellowship

Japanese Government


The Japanese Government Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture (Monbusho) sponsors the Monbusho Scholarship to enable foreign students from 110 countries to study Japanese language and culture at the undergraduate level, to train in methods of teaching Japanese as a foreign language, and to research a broad range of topics at the graduate level in Japanese universities. Applicants may elect to study in Japan for either a term of two years (April 2001-March 2003) or one and a half years (October 2001-March 2003.)


1. Nationality: Applicants must be nationals of the country to which the scholarships are offered.
2. Age: Applicants must be under 35 years of age as of April 1, 2002.
3. Academic Background: Applicants must be university or college graduates. (Those who will graduate from a university or college by March or September 2001 may apply.)
4. Japanese Language: Applicants must (be willing to) study the Japanese language and (to) receive instruction in Japanese.
5. Health: Applicants must have no infectious diseases. In view of expected psychological burden due to cultural and environmental changes, mental as well as physical health is an essential prerequisite.
6. Arrival in Japan: Applicants must be able to leave for and arrive in Japan between the 1st and the 7th of April 2002 or between the 1st and 7th of October 2002.
7. Other: Applicants are requested to contact a professor of the Japanese university where he/she wishes to study and obtain a letter of acceptance.


Applicants may elect to study in Japan for either a term of two years (April 2002-March 2004) or one and a half years (October 2002-March 2004).

There is an allowance of 185,500 yen (in FY 1998) per month. A tourist class air ticket from the international airport nearest to his/her address to the New Tokyo International Airport and back is provided. The sum of 25,000 yen will be given to the grantee on arrival. An allowance will also be given to the grantee for use in fieldwork in Japan. Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation and tuition at universities will be exempted. Students may receive subvention for part of the medial expenses in Japan.


August 8, 2001 - applications must be received by this date.

Application Procedures

Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission abroad by the date appointed by the mission. The documents submitted will not be returned.
* Application for Admission (2 originals)
* Application (Annex) by the prescribed form (1 original)
* Photographs of passport size (6x4 cm) taken within the past 6 months - should be pasted on the application forms (3 originals)
* Certified academic record of university attended (to be issued by the university authorities)
* Reference from the university president or dean, or academic advisor (1 original, 1 copy)
* Reference from the present employer (1 original, 1 copy)
* Medical certificate on the prescribed form (to be issued by the medical institution designated by the Japanese diplomatic mission) (1 original, 1 copy)
* Photocopy of the university diploma, or of certificate of degree (1 copy)
* Photograph showing applicant's own works of art or a recorded tape of musical performance (only for those majoring in fine arts or music)

For more information

Cory Crocker
Japan Information and Culture Center
Consulate General of Japan
350 South Grand Ave., Suite 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90071
(213)617-6700, ext. 338

Asia Institute