Skip Navigation

Japanese Government Scholarships

Japanese Government


For undergraduate students who major/minor in Japanese Studies or related fields. The term is for one year.


Allowance: 135,000 yen (This may be subject to change) per month will be given to each grantee, with the understanding that the scholarship will be suspended in the case in which a grantee is long absent from the university.


a. Transportation to Japan: The grantee will be supplied, according to his/her itinerary as designated by MEXT, with a tourist class air ticket from the international airport* nearest to his/her home address to the New Tokyo International Airport (or the international airport nearest to the university at which he/she is placed, on condition that it is less expensive to arrive at that airport). Such expenses as inland transportation from his/her home address to the international airport, airport tax and special taxes on the travel will NOT be supplied (In general, the address stated in the application form is considered as the "home address").

b. Transportation from Japan: The grantee who goes back to his/her home country within the fixed period after the expiration of the scholarship will be supplied, upon application, with a tourist class air ticket from the New Tokyo International Airport (or the international airport nearest to the university at which he/she studied, on condition that it is less expensive to leave from that airport) to the international airport* nearest to his/her home address.

*The airport must be one in the country of grantee's nationality.
** Any aviation and accident insurance to and from Japan shall be borne by the applicant.

Arrival Allowance: The sum of 25,000 yen (This may be subject to change) will be given to the grantee on arrival.

School Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation and tuition at school will be compensated by Japanese Government.


a. Foreign Student Houses, operated by JASSO. The grantees enrolled at universities in Tokyo, Osaka and Kobe district may reside, if they so desire, at one of the Foreign Student Houses operated by JASSO. However, these dormitories may not be able to accommodate all the students who wish to live there.

b. Residence halls for foreign students of national universities At present about 90 national universities have residence halls for foreign students. The grantees enrolled at universities where such facilities are available may reside, if they so desire, at these residence halls according to certain conditions. However, some of these facilities may not be able to accommodate all the students who wish to live there.

c. Private boarding houses or apartments. Those who are not able to find accommodations in the above facilities will live in dormitories of the universities, private boarding houses or apartments introduced by the universities.

Students may receive subvention for part of the medical expenses in Japan.

* The allowance, special housing service and subventions mentioned in the above items (3), (5)-a, and (6) are carried out by JASSO. JASSO, founded in 2004, runs foreign student houses in Tokyo, Osaka and Kobe performs various activities for foreign students in cooperation with MEXT and universities in Japan.


Nationality: Applicants must have nationality to which the scholarships are offered (the applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible).

Age: Applicants must be from eighteen to twenty-nine years old as of April 1, 2006 (i.e. born on and between April 2, 1976 and April 1, 1988).

Academic Background: Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools that major in Japanese language or Japanese culture in universities outside Japan at the time they come to Japan and they return to their home countries.

Japanese Language: Applicants must have good knowledge of the Japanese language.

Health: Applicants must have no infectious diseases. In view of the expected psychological burden due to cultural and environmental changes, mental as well as physical health is an essential prerequisite.

Arrival in Japan: Applicants must be able to leave for and arrive in Japan between the 1st and the 7th of October, 2006. (If the applicant cannot arrive in Japan in the set period, travel expenses and the arrival allowance will not be paid.)

Visa acquisition:Applicants are required to acquire a "college student" visa when they come to Japan.

(1) Military personnel and military civilian employees registered on the active list are excluded.
(2) The grants may be cancelled if grantees fail to arrive in Japan by the appointed date.
(3) Recipients of scholarships from other institutions (including their own governments) are not selected as grantees of Japanese Government Scholarships.
(4) An applicant who has been awarded a Japanese Government Scholarship in the past will not be selected as a grantee unless he/she has had at least 3 years of research or teaching experience after returning to his/her home country as of October 1, 2006.
(5) Applicants cannot apply for this program through Embassy/Consulate General recommendation and University recommendation at the same time.
(6) The applicant cannot apply for the Japanese Studies Program offered by MEXT and the Short-term Student Exchange Promotion Program conducted by Japanese Student Services Organization (JASSO) at the same time. Students majoring in fields other than Japanese language or Japanese culture who wish to study various aspects of Japan (Engineering, Economy, Agriculture, Architecture, Art, etc.) as part of their major studies should apply for the Short-term Student Exch ange Promotion Program conducted by the JASSO.
(7) Applicants who have studied in a university less than one year as of April 2006 is not eligible to apply.

Application Procedure

The application deadline for the 2006 is March 3, 2006 (received). The documents submitted will not be returned. Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese Consulate by the application deadline:

Application for Admission (prescribed form) - 2 originals Application (Annex) for Admission (prescribed form) - 1 original

Photographs of passport size (6×4 cm) taken within the past 6 months (should be pasted on the application forms and Annex) - 3 originals

Certified student registration from the university currently enrolled - 1 original, 1 copy

Certified academic records at the university - 1 original, 1 copy

Recommendation from the university president or dean, or the applicant's supervisor - 1 original, 1 copy

Medical certificate on the prescribed form (to be issued by the medical institution designated by the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General) - 1 original, 1 copy

* These documents must be written in either Japanese or English, or accompanied by a translation in either of these languages.

** No application will be accepted unless all the documents mentioned above are fully and correctly completed.


(1) A grantee will be deprived of his/her scholarship in any of the following cases: a. A false statement has been made on his/her application dossiers. b. He/she violates any article of his pledge to the Monbukagaku-daijin (the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology). c. He/she has took withdrawal from school or a disciplinary measure such as removal from a register in a university, or when studies result a were bad, and it was judged not to be it possibility of improvement or possibility of the completion of work. d. His / Her residence status has been changed into one other than �College Student.�E e. He/she got other scholarship (except the scholarship that the purpose for which money is spent is specified to research costs).

(2) It is highly recommended that a grantee should bring approximately US $1,000 or the equivalent to cover immediate needs after arrival in Japan.

(3) It will be very difficult to find housing for dependents of students, i.e. spouses and children. At first, a grantee comes to Japan and find a house, then call spouse and children.

(4) The amounts of the allowance and the arrival allowance described in Section 3 are subject to budgetary conditions and they may be subject to change.

(5) More detailed information on this scholarship program is available at the nearest Japanese Embassy/Consulate General.

Contact the Coordinator

The Consulate General of Japan, Los Angeles serves ONLY those in Southern California and Arizona
To find the Monbukagakusho Coordinator in your area click here

For further information or application materials, please contact:

Monbukagakusho Coordinator
350 S. Grand Ave., Suite 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90071
(213) 617-6700, ext. 338
Fax: (213) 617-6728
E-mail (for CA and AZ only):

Asia Institute