Skip Navigation

General Education Guidelines for EAP

The following will provide you with information regarding EAP coursework when studying abroad.

Honors Counseling for EAP Students

Once you have been accepted to EAP, your College records will be transferred to Honors Programs and from that point forward, you will receive all of your College related academic services, including counseling, through the Honors Office. Students MUST read the "UCLA College (Letters & Science) Guidelines" to make sure they meet the guidelines for the College of Letters and Science.

You must meet with an Honors Counselor prior to your EAP participation if you...

  • will complete 160 cumulative units before you leave for your EAP destination
  • might exceed your maximum number of units allowed (as stated on your DPR)
  • plan to graduate while abroad
  • plan to complete GE courses while abroad

How to petition to apply EAP courses towards General Education Requirements

It is possible to satisfy GE requirements with courses taken while studying abroad. A petition is required in order to do this. It is strongly recommended that you petition prior to your departure so that you know, before you take a course, whether or not it will apply towards your GE requirement.

Petitioning Prior to Departure

Please follow these steps to complete the petition process:

  1. Obtain course description and/or syllabus (in English) for each course you wish to petition (consult with the EAP Office for details on locating course descriptions).
  2. Pick up blue petition (one for each course) from Honors Programs office in A311 Murphy Hall.
  3. Fill out petition request, identifying the EAP course and stating specifically where you would like it to apply on GE.
  4. For example: Apply Spanish Art History, to be taken on EAP Madrid, Spring 2005, towards GE/Foundations of Arts and Humanities/Visual and Performance Arts requirement.

  5. Submit petition(s), with course description(s) attached, to Honors Programs in A311 Murphy Hall.
  6. Allow at least 10 business days for review and processing of your petition(s). Then check your MyUCLA page (“petition” link) for the decision and follow-up instructions. Please be aware that not all petitions are approved.
  7. Approved petitions are "provisional," which means that they are not applied to the GE requirements on your DPR until you successfully complete the course(s) and follow Step 7 below.
  8. Once you have returned and your EAP courses and grades appear on your UCLA record, please contact Honors Programs, in person or via email, in order to have provisionally approved course(s) posted to the GE requirements on your DPR.

Petitioning While Abroad

If you are not sure what courses you will be taking or cannot get access to course descriptions prior to departure, you can email Honors Programs from abroad once you have the necessary course information and they can give you a provisional decision at that time.

Honors Programs Office Contact

A-311 Murphy Hall
Telephone: (310) 825-1553
Department website

Education Abroad Program