Skip Navigation

Linguistics Concentration Majors/Minors

Information for Linguistics and Linguistics/Concentration Majors/Minors interested in studying abroad.

Why Study Abroad

UCLA’s Department of Linguistics strongly encourages its students to consider studying abroad. While polishing foreign language skills in a native environment, students will gain exposure to how the academic field of linguistics is taught in other countries.

In addition, studying abroad will help you develop skills that are critical to your future career. Consider your value to an employer or a graduate program if you’ve:

  • Participated in a different educational system and gained a new cultural perspective
  • Increased your proficiency in another language
  • Improved your critical thinking skills
  • Expanded your worldview by experiencing another culture firsthand
  • Developed self-confidence and independence
  • Prepared for a career in an internationally competitive world
  • Enhanced résumés and/or applications for graduate school

When to Study Abroad

Study abroad programs are available at all class levels. The particular quarter, semester, summer or year that you study abroad depends on your individual progress in the major, what coursework you plan to complete abroad, and your immediate plans after graduation. Consult with your major advisor to determine the best time period for your study abroad experience.

Where to go

There are many countries to choose from! Depending on your language of focus, you may choose to study in a country where that language is spoken and enhance your linguistic capabilities in that language. In the past five years, UCLA students have taken linguistics courses at the following universities, though the possibilities don’t stop here:

The UC Education Abroad Program offers three special features to help you choose the right program.

  • The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
  • The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken and submitted for approval by UC students.
  • An up-to-date list of pre-approved EAP courses will soon be available.

What classes to take

All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your major has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific major/minor requirements.

For major requirements:

Courses are approved on a case by case basis. Before going abroad, students should discuss with the department advisor which EAP courses the department will approve for credit toward a major or minor. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.

Linguistics Department Contacts

Melanie Levin
Student Affairs Officer
Office: 3125A Campbell Hall
Telephone: (310) 825-5060
Department website

Education Abroad Program