Skip Navigation

East Asian Studies Majors

Information for East Asian Studies majors on studying abroad through EAP.

Where to go

The EAP offers intensive language and culture programs, as well as a wide variety of regular host university courses. The best way to choose is to look over the options and consult with your UCLA Education Abroad Program counselor and your major advisor.

EAP currently offers programs in the following East Asian countries:

In addition, the UC Education Abroad Program offers three special features to help you choose the right program.

  • The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
  • The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken and submitted for approval by UC students.

Pre-Approved EAP Courses for East Asian Studies Upper Division Electives

Note: These are not comprehensive lists. Other courses may be approved for East Asian Studies credit. All courses taken for the major must be at least 4.0 units. Two 2.5-3.0 unit courses of similar topics may be combined to fulfill one elective. You can also receive two course credits for one 8.0 unit course. Please see your major counselor for more information.

What classes to take

All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your major department has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific major requirements.

Before going abroad, students should discuss with the department advisor which EAP courses the department will approve for credit toward a major or minor. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.

The EAP Academic Planning Form can be signed by your EAP counselor instead of your East Asian Studies counselor.

EAP Coursework Guidelines for East Asian Studies Major

(Note: the following guidelines are subject to change. Please see your major advisor for up-to-date information.)

EAP Unit Limits for Major

  • Total number of EAP Upper Division Units that can be applied: Max 7 upper division elective courses can be taken abroad
  • Total number of EAP Lower Division Units that can be applied: See your major counselor
  • Total number of EAP Combined Upper and Lower Division Units: See your major counselor
  • Total number of EAP Units that can be used to fulfill a language requirement: a total of three UD courses (UCLA or EAP) can count towards your EAS degree

Grade Requirements

  • A grade of D- or above will receive credit.

East Asian Studies IDP Department Contact

Magda Yamamoto
Academic Counselor
Office: 10373 Bunche Hall
Telephone: (310) 206-6571
Department website

Education Abroad Program