Skip Navigation

Chinese Majors

Information for Chinese majors interested in going abroad.

Where to go

To China, naturally! The EAP offers intensive language and culture programs, programs with "set" courses taught in Mandarin and/or English, as well as the opportunity to take a wide variety of regular host university courses, depending on your language skills. The best way to choose is to look over the options and consult with your UCLA Education Abroad Program counselor and your major advisor.

EAP offers programs in China:

Other countries with strong Chinese language programs include the following:

The UC Education Abroad Program also offers three special features to help you choose the right program.

  • The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
  • The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken and submitted for approval by UC students.
  • An up-to-date list of pre-approved EAP courses will soon be available.

What classes to take

All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your major/minor department has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific major requirements.

Courses are approved on a case by case basis and generally used for elective credit. Before going abroad, students should discuss with the department advisor which EAP courses the department will approve for credit toward a major or minor. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.

East Asian Languages and Cultures Department Contact

Asiroh Cham
Undergraduate Advisor
Office: 290 Royce Hall
Telephone: (310) 206-8235
Department website

Education Abroad Program