5th Annual Symposium on Asia in the Curriculum
For the 5th Annual Symposium on Asia in the Curriculum hosted by the UCLA Asia Institute
Getting to UCLA
- UCLA is about 12 driving miles north of Los Angeles International Airport.
- In addition to the major carriers, large discount carriers flying into LAX include Southwest, ATA, and America West).
- Other regional airports include those in Burbank (America West, United, and other carriers, 20 miles from UCLA) and Long Beach (Jet Blue and other carriers, 32 miles from UCLA).
HotelsThe Hotel Angeleno is offering Symposium participants special rates. Rate: single or double - $139/night.
- The hotel has set up an online reservation form for symposium participants. Click here to make your reservation.
- Guest parking is $11/day.
The Claremont Hotel, located in the heart of Westwood, provides inexpensive and basic housing. Rooms range from $60-$70. Please contact the hotel directly for more information and to make reservations.
The UCLA Guest House is available at a special rate for UCLA invited guests. However, availability is extremely limited.
The Hilgard House Hotel and Suites, located within walking distance to the campus and to the campus shuttle, also offers UCLA guests a special rate. This is a smaller hotel so please contact the hotel directly as soon as possible for reservations. Parking is free for all hotel guests.
- For those staying at the Hotel Angeleno, transportation between the hotel and UCLA during official conference activities will be provided by UCLA Transportation. Those who will be attending affiliate meetings before and after the conference should take advantage of the hotel's complimentary shuttle service to and from UCLA.
- For those staying at the the UCLA Guest House, the conference facilities will be a 20 minute walk from the hotel.
- For those staying at the Hilgard House Hotel and Suites or the Claremont Hotel, the conference facilities will be a 5-10 minute drive from the hotel. Please see below for information about on-campus parking.
- Parking at UCLA costs $8 a day. Please visit the UCLA Transportation Services Visitor Information page for campus maps and location of parking lots and information booths. The closet lot to the conference facilities will be Sunset Village.
- Parking lots and garages in and around Westwood offer limited spaces for daily parking at a cost of $8-$15 a day.
Of Potential Interest
Important Asian collections can be seen at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Norton Simon Museum, and the Pacific Asia Museum. In addition, a number of other facilities, including the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History, regularly feature Asian exhibitions. Not known for their Asian offerings, but within a fifteen minute bus ride are the remarkable holdings of the Getty Center and the UCLA Hammer Museum.
Family members accompanying symposium participants to Los Angeles will have no problem filling their days. In addition to great parks, the coast, and amusement centers, Los Angeles offers fascinating ethnic neighborhoods. The restaurants and shops of Koreatown, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, and Thaitown are within a half-hour drive of UCLA, a bit father away are the Chinese and Vietnamese centers in the San Gabriel Valley and Orange County.
Looking for out-of-print books on Asia? You have Hollywood’s used bookstores to explore as well as specialty shops such as Eastwind down the street from UCLA and the Oriental Bookstore in Pasadena.
Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2005