WIMBA is a suite of online communications tools, called Voice Tools, as well as an Oral Assessment Builder. Instructors and students can communicate using Voice Email, Voice Discussion Boards, and Voice Direct (a voice chat tool). With the Oral Assessment Builder, instructors can create online oral assessments for students to take, as well as give voice feedback to students!
- Instructors: Wimba Intro, Demo, Setup & How-to's
- Students: Wimba Intro for Students, Quickstart: Wimba Voice Tools Guide and Oral Assessment Guide
- Login to Wimba
- Is your computer ready? Run the Wimba Diagnostic Tool to check! For computer hardware/software requirements, click here.
- "Beyond Digital Audio: Wimba, Adding a New Dimension to Language Learning & Teaching", presented during ACTFL 2005 by Dr. Ganna Kudyma and Ted Liu in Baltimore, Maryland.
- UCLA's use of Wimba has been made possible through the UC Consortium for Language Learning and Teaching (UCCLLT). Read a Review of Wimba by Professor Robert Blake, Director of UCCLLT.
What is Wimba?
Wimba is a suite of online communications tools and an Oral Assessment Builder. Instructors and students can interact one-to-one or one-to many using Voice Email, Voice Discussion Boards, and Voice-Direct (real-time voice chat room). Instructors can also create Oral Assessments to give students extra speaking, assess student improvement, and give feedback in order to address the students' specific needs.
Many UCLA instructors have used Wimba to aid in their classroom instruction with great results. Wimba resources can only be used for the instruction of UCLA students. For more information, consult the links above or email your department's ITC to get started. We're eager to help you get up and running in using this great tool!
Published: Wednesday, October 19, 2005