Skip Navigation

Parent FAQ

Frequently asked questions by parents whose child had decided to study abroad.

Is the Education Abroad Program Right for my Daughter/Son?

The Education Abroad Program (EAP) is an official function of the University of California, under the Office of the President, charged with administering overseas study opportunities for UC students. For almost 40 years the office has been coordinating such overseas programs and in 2001-2002 more than 2,500 UC students are expected to study through EAP at over 130 institutions around the world. Today’s students need to be knowledgeable about the world beyond California’s boundaries; international study increases confidence and may give students an added advantage in competitive employment markets and graduate school admissions. This flyer is designed to provide parents with some fundamental information about EAP. Specific information and advising is available on every UC campus at the local EAP office.

Will courses taken overseas count toward my son’s/daughter’s UC degree?

EAP students automatically earn UC units (not transfer credit) for the work they complete abroad. With careful planning, study abroad should not delay progress toward graduation. Application of units toward major or college specific requirements depends on UC department or college approval.

What about financial aid?

Because EAP students remain enrolled at UC while studying abroad, they retain their eligibility for financial aid. In fact, the aid package is adjusted to the actual costs of participating in a specific program. EAP sends estimated costs, including airfare and health insurance fees, to the student's home campus financial aid office, which uses these figures when calculating the student’s aid package. In cases of emergency, EAP may be able to lend temporary financial assistance to students experiencing financial difficulties while abroad.

Okay, but doesn't it cost a lot more to study overseas?

This depends on the overseas program chosen. The cost of participating in EAP is usually comparable to – and sometimes less than – the cost of studying on a UC campus. Students should check out program details on the EAP web site or at their UC campus EAP office. But don’t assume that studying overseas will be more expensive.

I don't want my daughter/son to be away from my family for a whole year!

They don't have to. While there are indications that students achieve greater benefit from spending a full academic year in another country, EAP also offers programs for shorter durations. EAP offers short-term as well as full-year programs in a wide range of academic disciplines for sophomore through graduate students. Students may now choose programs that last one semester, one quarter, or even just a summer.

Where would my child live while overseas?

Housing for students is pre-arranged at most EAP sites, either for the first month or the duration of the program. Students should check the EAP website or with their campus office for specific details of the program that interests them.

Is it safe for my child to study abroad?

EAP considers student health and safety while abroad one of its top priorities. All participants in EAP are covered by a mandatory health insurance policy while abroad. While no one can guarantee student security either in the U.S. or abroad, the program makes every reasonable effort to assure a safe environment in its programs abroad, and to counsel students on potential risks and necessary precautions. In return, participants have a responsibility to pay careful attention to safety and health information provided in pre-departure materials and at orientations in the U.S. and abroad.

To print this page, select "Print" from the File menu of your browser.