Skip Navigation

Mexican Studies Minor

Information for students in Mexican Studies who want to go abroad.

Mexican Studies Minor EAP Information

Studying abroad is an excellent way to not only increase your fluency in Spanish, but to experience first-hand the cultures of Mexico. Learning and living in another country can be life changing, and it will provide you with international experiences that are essential in today’s global world.

Where to go

Mexico, naturally! The EAP offers intensive language and culture programs, programs with "set" courses taught in Spanish and/or English, as well as the opportunity to take a wide variety of regular host university courses, depending on your language skills. The best way to choose is to look over the options and consult with your UCLA Education Abroad Program counselor and your major advisor.

Click here for more information on studying abroad in Mexico:

In addition, the UC Education Abroad Program offers two special features to help you choose the right program.

  • The Program Wizard can help you find possible programs of interest.
  • The Coursefinder database includes descriptions of all courses taken by UC students while on EAP programs. Please note that it does not include all courses offered by the host university, only those that have been taken and submitted for approval by UC students.

What classes to take

All classes taken on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are listed individually with their accompanying grades on your UCLA transcript. The courses are UC approved courses and count toward your 180 unit requirement for graduation; however, your minor department has the final authority to determine how the coursework is used to fulfill specific minor requirements.

EAP Coursework Guidelines for Mexican Studies Minor

If this is your….



2nd Major


Total number of EAP Upper Division Units that can be applied toward…




A grade of D- or above will receive credit but 2.0 GPA req. in major and minor

Total number of EAP Lower Division Units that can be applied toward…




Total number of EAP Combined Upper and Lower Division Units




Total number of EAP Units that can be used to fulfill a language requirement.



No limit

Pre-EAP Process

Students should meet with an undergraduate advisor to develop a plan of study before leaving to study abroad. Students can often make changes to their study plan once they arrive in their country of choice, but should consult with the undergraduate staff advisor by e-mail first.

An up-to-date list of pre-approved EAP courses will soon be available.

While on EAP

How should students contact the department while abroad?
Students should email their department advisor.

What information does the department need if a student changes courses while abroad?
Students should send an email describing the course they plan to switch to. They should also indicate what major/minor requirement their dropped course was fulfilling.

Post-EAP Process

Students should save all materials related to their coursework taken abroad (course descriptions, syllabi, textbook names and authors, essays, tests, etc.) and be prepared to show them to the UCLA Spanish and Portuguese advisor upon their return to UCLA.

Once the courses appear on the DPR, students can come in to see the advisor so the necessary substitutions can be made on the DPR. Provisional approval may be given ahead of time, but substitutions can not be guaranteed.

Spanish and Portuguese Department Contact

Adriana Ruiz
Undergraduate Advisor
5314 Rolfe Hall
Telephone: (310) 825-8289
Department website

To print this page, select "Print" from the File menu of your browser.