Former Vice Provost and Dean
UCLA International Institute
- Vice Provost, UCLA International Institute; Dean, International Studies, 2001-2005
- Director of the Ronald W. Burkle Center for International Relations, 2002-
- Professor, Department of Political Science, 2001- 2005
- Professor, Department of Political Science, Yale University, 1997-2001
- Founding Director of Leitner Program in International Political Economy, 1999-2001
- Director of Program in Ethics, Politics and Economics, 1999-2001
- Founding Co-Director of European Studies Council, 1998-2000
- Associate Professor, Department of Management, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1995-1997
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Stanford University, 1988-1995
- Fellow in Politics, University College, Oxford University, 1986-1988
- Ph.D., Duke University, 1990
- M.A., Duke University, 1984
- B.A. (hons.), the Australian National University, 1981
3. Visiting Appointments
- Visiting Fellow, Juan March Institute, Madrid, 1996
- Visiting Fellow, Research School of the Social Sciences, Australian National University, 1994-1996
- Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University, 1993-1994
- Visiting Fellow, Wissenschaftszentrum, Berlin, 1990-1993
- Visiting Fellow, Public Policy Program, The Australian National University, 1992
4. Fellowships and Awards
- The Gregory Luebbert Prize for the best book in comparative politics 1999, runner-up for Partisan Politics in the Global Economy
- The Gregory Luebbert Award for the best professional article in comparative politics 1996, runner-up for "Internationalization, Institutions and Political Change"
- National Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, 1993-1994
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford, 1991-1992
- Fulbright Scholarship, 1981-1986
- Globalization’s Missing Middle: Why the middle class of people and countries is losing from international economic integration (under contract with W.W. Norton)
- The International Diffusion of Markets and Democracy (book manuscript, co-edited with Frank Dobbin and Beth Simmons, under review as a special issue of International Organization)
- Partisan Politics in the Global Economy (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998) [Ch. 1 reprinted in Frank Lechner and John Boli (eds.), The Globalization Reader, (Basil Blackwell: London, 2000), pp. 227-235].
- The Globalization Rorschach Test (with Nancy Brune, forthcoming vol. 8, 2005) Annual Review of Political Science
- Why Do Independent Central Banks Require So Much "Sacrifice"? The Effects of Organized Labor (with Christopher Way, forthcoming 2005), Comparative Political Studies
- Globalization’s Missing Middle, Foreign Affairs (forthcoming November/December 2004))
- "The IMF and the Global Spread of Privatization" (with Nancy Brune and Bruce Kogut), IMF Staff Papers (forthcoming July 2004)
- Understanding Better the EU Legislative Process (with George Tsebelis), European Union Politics 2(3) 2001:353-359.
- Globalization and Government Spending Around the World, Studies in Comparative International Development 35(4) 2001: 3-29.
- The Institutional Foundations of Intergovernmentalism and Supranationalism in the European Union (with George Tsebelis), International Organization 55(2) 2001: 357-390.
- Even More Reasons To Resist The Temptation Of Power Indices In The EU (with George Tsebelis), Journal of Theoretical Politics 13(1) 2001: 99-106.
- Globalization, Government Spending and Taxation in the OECD (with Deborah Mitchell), European Journal of Political Research 39(2) 2001: 145-177.
- The Causes of Globalization, Comparative Political Studies 33(6/7) 2000: 941-991.
- The Political Economy of European Union Integration: Relections from the PEEI Research Group (with Barry Eichengreen, Jeffry Freiden, Andrew Rose, Jürgen von Hagen and Michael Wallerstein), European Union Politics 1(2) June 2000: 251-263.
- Legislative Politics in the European Union (with George Tsebelis), European Union Politics 1(1) 2000: 9-36.
- Capital Mobility, Exchange Rates and Fiscal Policy in the Global Economy, Review of International Political Economy 7(1) 2000: 153-170.
- More Reasons to Resist the Temptation to Apply Power Indices to the European Union (with George Tsebelis), Journal of Theoretical Politics 11(3) 1999: 331-338.
- Why Resist the Temptation to Apply Power Indices to the European Union (with George Tsebelis), Journal of Theoretical Politics 11(3) 1999: 291-308.
- Public Sector Unions, Corporatism, and Macroeconomic Performance (with Christopher Way), Comparative Political Studies 32 (4) 1999: 411-434.
- Global Markets and National Politics: Collision Course or Virtuous Circle?, International Organization 52(4) Fall 1998: 149-176. [Also published in Desarrollo Economico 152, February-March 1999: 883-924; Peter Katzenstein, Robert Keohane and Stephen Krasner (eds.), Exploration and Contestation in the Study of World Politics, (Boston: MIT Press, 1999); David Held and Anthony McGrew (eds.), The Global Transformations Reader, (New York: Polity Press, 2000); Richard Higgott and Anthony Payne (eds.), The New Political Economy of Globalization, (New York: Edward Elgar, 2000); and Masaru Kohno and Harukata Takenaka (eds.), Access International Political Economy (Tokyo, Nihon Keizai Hyoron-sha, forthcoming 2003)].
- Legal Politics in the European Union (with Daniel Kelemen and Heiner Schulz), International Organization 52(1) Winter 1998: 149-176.
- Shrinking States?: Globalization And Policy Autonomy In The OECD, Oxford Development Studies 26(1) February 1998: 71-97. [Also published in Ngaire Woods (ed.), The Political Economy of Globalization, ( New York: Macmillan, 2000); a shorter version of the paper was also published in Stato e Mercato 1/1999: 79-116].
- More on the Codecision Endgame (with George Tsebelis), Journal of Legislative Studies 3(4) Winter 1997: 139-143.
- Agenda Setting, Vetoes and the EU’s Codecision Procedure (with George Tsebelis), Journal of Legislative Studies 3(3) Autumn 1997: 74-92.
- On Power Indices and Reading Papers (with Iain McLean), British Journal of Political Science 26(4) October 1996: 600-1.
- Women and the Welfare State in the Era of Global Markets (with Deborah Mitchell), Social Politics 3(2/3) Summer/Fall 1996: 185-194.
- The Politics of European Federalism (with Jenna Bednar and John Ferejohn), International Review of Law and Economics 16(3) September 1996: 279-294. [Also published in Robert Cooter and Dieter Schmidtchen (eds.), Constitutional Law and Economics of the European Union (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 1997)].
- Why Power Indices Cannot Explain Decision-Making in Europe (with George Tsebelis), International Review of Law and Economics 16(3) September 1996: 345-361. [Also published in Robert Cooter and Dieter Schmidtchen (eds.), Constitutional Law and Economics of the European Union (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 1997)].
- An Institutional Critique of Intergovernmentalism (with George Tsebelis), International Organization 50(2) Spring 1996: 269-299.
- Internationalization, Institutions and Political Change (with Peter Lange), International Organization 49(4) Fall 1995: 627-655. [Also published in Robert Keohane and Helen Milner (eds.), Internationalization and Domestic Politics (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1996)].
- Capital Mobility, Trade and the Domestic Politics of Economic Policy, International Organization 49(4) Fall 1995: 657-687. [Also published in Robert Keohane and Helen Milner (eds.), Internationalization and Domestic Politics (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1996), pp. 79-107].
- Power, Power Indices and Blocking Power: A Comment on Johnston (with Iain McLean and Moshe Moshover), British Journal of Political Science 25(4) October 1995: 563-568.
- From the Luxembourg Compromise to Codecision: Decision Making in the European Union, Electoral Studies 14(3) September 1995: 289-308.
- The Politics of Industrial Subsidies: Comment on Verdier, Comparative Political Studies 28(1) April 1995: 50-55.
- The Politics of Legal Integration in the European Union, International Organization 49(1) Winter 1995: 171-181.
- The Politics of Maastricht, Economics and Politics, 5(2) July 1993: 105-123. [Also published in Barry Eichengreen and Jeffry Frieden (eds.), The Political Economy of European Monetary Unification (Boulder: Westview Press, 1994); updated and extended version published in the 2000 2nd edition of this book, pp. 111-130.]
- Government Partisanship, Labor Organization and Macroeconomic Performance: A Corrigendum (with Michael Alvarez, Nathaniel Beck, Jonathan Katz and Peter Lange), American Political Science Review, 87(4) December 1993: 945-948.
- The Calculus of Dissent: Party Discipline in the British Labour Government, 1974-1979 (with Brian Gaines), Political Behavior, 15(2) June 1993: 113-135.
- The Politics of Structural Change: Swedish Social Democracy and Thatcherism in Comparative Perspective, Comparative Political Studies, 25(4) January 1993: 521-547.
- The Political Consequences of Thatcherism, Political Behavior, 14(4) December 1992: 361-382.
- International Cooperation and Institutional Choice: The European Community's Internal Market, International Organization, 46(2) Spring 1992: 533-560. [Also published in John Ruggie (ed.), Multilateralism Matters: The Theory and Praxis of an Institutional Form (New York: Columbia University Press, 1993), and Neil Nugent (ed.), The European Union Volume II - Policy Processes (Aldershot: Dartmouth Publishing, 1996)].
- Political Responses to Interdependence: What's 'Left' for the Left (with Peter Lange), International Organization, 45(4) Autumn 1991: 539-564.
- Government Partisanship, Labor Organization and Macroeconomic Performance, 1967-1984 (with R. Michael Alvarez and Peter Lange), American Political Science Review, 85(3) June 1991: 539-556. [Also published in Carles Boix (ed.), Modelos Politico-Institucionales de Politica Economica (Madrid: Instituto de Estudios Fiscales, 1994) and Ronald Rogowski (ed.), Comparative Politics and the International Political Economy: The Essential Readings (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 1994)].
- Government Partisanship and Economic Performance (with Peter Lange), Journal of Politics, 51(3) August 1989: 676-693.
- The Politics of Growth Reconsidered (with Peter Lange), Journal of Politics, 49(1), February 1987: 257-274.
- Performance in a Hostile World: Economic Growth in the Advanced Capitalist Democracies, 1974-1982 (with Peter Lange), World Politics, 38(4), July 1986:517-545.
- The Politics of Growth: Strategic Interaction and Economic Performance in the Advanced Industrial Democracies, 1974-1980 (with Peter Lange), Journal of Politics, 47(3), August 1985: 792-827.
- Globalization, Democratization and Government Spending in Middle Income Countries (with David Nickerson), in Miguel Glatzer and Dietrich Rueschemeyer (eds)., Globalization and the Welfare State ( Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, forthcoming).
- Globalization and Fiscal Decentralization (with Jonathan Rodden), in Miles Kahler and David Lake (eds.), Governance in a Global Economy: Political Authority in Transition (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2003).
- Public Sector Unions and Wage Determination (with Christopher Way), in Torben Iversen, Jonas Pontusson and David Soskice (eds.), Unions, Employers, and Central Banks (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1999), pp. 267-291.
- The Transition to Economic and Monetary Union, in Barry Eichengreen and Jeffry Frieden (eds.), Forging an Integrated Europe (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1998), pp. 21-48.
- The Sectoral Composition of Trade Unions, Corporatism and Economic Performance (with Christopher Way), in Barry Eichengreen, Jeffry Frieden and Jürgen von Hagen (eds.), Monetary and Fiscal Policy in an Integrated Europe (New York: Springer-Verlag, 1995), pp. 38-61.
- Popular Capitalism: The Electoral Legacy of Thatcherism, in Anthony Heath et. al. (eds.), Labour's Last Chance? The 1992 Election and Beyond, (Aldershot: Dartmouth, 1994), pp. 107-124.
- Ideas, Interests and Institutions: Constructing the European Community's Internal Market (with Barry Weingast), in Judith Goldstein and Robert Keohane, (eds.), Ideas and Foreign Policy (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1993), pp. 173-206.
- The Extension of Popular Capitalism (with Anthony Heath), in Anthony Heath et.al. Understanding Political Change: The British Voter, 1964-1987 (London: Pergamon Press, 1991), pp. 120-135.
6. Dissertation Adviser
- Jana von Stein (current)
- Hye Jye Lee (current)
- Eun Young Ha (current)
- Julia Gray (current)
- Alexandra Guisinger (2004, first job University of Notre Dame)
- Nancy Brune (2003, University of Texas, Austin)
- Willem Maas (2003, NYU)
- Nathan Jensen (2002, Washington University St. Louis)
- Stephen Brooks (2001, Dartmouth College)
- Heiner Schulz (2000, University of Pennsylvania)
- Jonathan Rodden (1999, MIT)
- Daniel Kelemen (1998, Rutgers University)
- Cliff Carrubba (1997, SUNY, Stonybrook)
- Christopher Way (1997, Cornell University)
- Kira Nam (1997, Oracle)
- Gabriella Montinola (1995, NYU)
- Brent Keltner (1995, Rand Corporation)
- Lloyd Gruber (1994, Chicago University)
7. Professional Service
- Member, Advisory Committee to the President, APSA convention 2001
- Member, Luebbert Book Award Committee, Comparative Politics Organized Section, APSA 1999-2000
- Section Chair, Comparative Politics of Advanced Industrial Societies, APSA Meetings, 2000
- Member, Presidential Nominating Committee, Comparative Politics Section, American Political Science Association, 1996-1997
- Member, Committee of Examiners for the GRE Political Science Test, Educational Testing Service, 1992-1998
- Screening Committee, Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships, Social Science Research Council, 1992-1993
- Program Committee, Eighth International Conferences of Europeanists, 1991-1992
8. Editorial Boards
- Comparative Political Studies , 1998-
- International Organization , 1997-2003
- Political Behavior , 1989-1995
- Political Research Quarterly , 1996-
- World Politics, 2004-
Last updated: 7/01/2004