Migrations and Borders in the Age of the Pandemic
A virtual workshop organized by the Department of Social Anthropology and History of the University of the Aegean, Greece. Cosponsored by CERS.
Lesvos lock. Image courtesy of Laurie Kain Hart.
Saturday, November 21, 20209:00 AM (Pacific Time)
Register to attend here.
The “Cultures, Migrations, Borders” faculty of the Annual Summer School at the Department of Social Anthropology and History of the University of the Aegean, Greece, in collaboration with the Observatory of Refugee and Migration Crisis in the Aegean and with the co-sponsorship of the Global Studies Center, University of Pittsburgh, and the Center for European and Russian Studies, UCLA, will host a virtual workshop on Migrations and Borders in the Age of the Pandemic.
The panelists will discuss how the crisis of the pandemic offers an opportunity to critically assess the exclusionary powers of bordering in view of Covid-19, while rethinking the dominant global (im)mobility regime.
SATURDAY 21 NOVEMBER | 19.00 - 21.40 (Athens Time)
(09:00-11:40AM PST Los Angeles)
Note: Times are in Eastern European Time : Greenwich Mean Time= minus 2 Η Eastern Standard Time = minus 7 H Pacific Standard Time = minus 10 Η
19.00 - 20.00 Round Table: IRREGULAR TRAVELLERS IN THE PANDEMIC
Chair: Laurie Kain HART
• Shahram KHOSRAVI | Smuggling in the Age of the Covid-19
• Hans LUCHT | Sanitary Cordons and the Pathologisation of Migration
• Effie VOUTIRA | Refugees Wearing Masks under Conditions of Covid 19 at the Borders of Europe
• Michel AGIER | The Borders of the Pandemics against Epistemological Nationalism
20.00 - 20.20 Break
20.20 - 21.40 Round Table: RACIALISATIONS AND REPRESENTATIONS
Chair: Heath CABOT
• Jean BEAMAN | The Outsider Within: Ethnographic Research on Race across Borders
• Ruben ANDERSSON | Epidemiological Borders: When the Cure Becomes the Disease
• Sevasti TRUBETA - Medicalised Borders and Racism in the Era of Humanitarianism
• Jason DE LEON | Hostile Terrain 94: Memorializing Migrant Death in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona
• Alexandra BOUNIA | Challenges of Addressing Migration in Museums during the Pandemic
International Postgraduate Summer School “Cultures, Migrations, Borders” Observatory of Refugee and Migration Crisis in the Aegean
Persefoni Kerentzi | PhD Student, National Kapodistrian University of Athens Constantinos Diamantis | MA, Free University of Berlin
Maria Demertzi | MSc, Panteion University
Co-sponsored by the Global Studies Center, University of Pittsburgh and the Center for European and Russian Studies, UCLA
Cost : Free and open to the public. Registration required at above link.
Related Document: Conference-Program_MIGRATIONS-AND-BORDERS-IN-THE-AGE-OF-THE-PANDEMIC-iq-eg1.pdf
Sponsor(s): Center for European and Russian Studies