Travel grants of up to $1,000 are available to UCLA undergraduate and graduate students for: (1) presentation of conference papers focused on Israel Studies or (2) Israel-related projects that require limited, site-specific research (e.g., archival research). Grant funds may be used to cover airfare, accommodation/hotel costs, ground transportation costs and for conference registration fees.
2016-17 Application Deadlines:
Applications are accepted beginning 4 weeks before the deadline, and decisions will be made on a rolling basis.
FALL 2016 – Applications due by November 15, 2016 (September-December)
WINTER 2017 – Applications due by January 1, 2017 (January-March)
SPRING/SUMMER 2017 – Applications due by April 1, 2017 (April – August)
Who Should Apply:
• Applicants must be currently enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate program at UCLA
• Conferences for which funds are requested must be organized by a recognized academic institution or scholarly association
• The Center welcomes travel grant applications from students in a wide range of disciplines, including, but not limited to history, political science, economics, sociology, literature, visual and performing arts, management, engineering, law, public health, environment and sustainability.
Applicants should complete the electronic application for the travel grant available here for Conference Travel Grants and here for Research Travel Grants. All proposal materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted online by the above indicated deadline.
Materials required to complete the application include:
• Current Curriculum Vitae
• Conference title and description (if applicable)
• Working title for paper for submission (conference) or proposed research project title (research)
• Confirmation of paper acceptance (if applicable): conference program or other proof (e.g. email from conference organizers) that your paper has been accepted for inclusion in the conference.
• Conference paper abstract or research project abstract (no more than 400 words) that demonstrates the relevance of the paper or project to the field of Israel Studies
• Itemized budget as per the budget template provided (click here)
• Letter of Recommendation (1) - letter from your advisor, committee chair or other Faculty involved in your research. The letter should briefly address the rationale for the recommender's endorsement of the student's participation in the conference or particular aspect of his/her research for which travel funding is requested.
o Once the application has been submitted, the recommender will receive an automated email from the system, instructing him/her where and how to upload the recommendation. Applicants should therefore ensure they submit the application as early as possible, and that they have provided the correct contact information.
Terms and Conditions
• Grantees will be reimbursed for travel expenses and will not receive funds in advance. Once travel has been completed, grantees must submit proof of payment (e.g. e-ticket or passenger receipt with form of payment clearly indicated; or a redacted credit card statement with conference airfare highlighted) via email to Israel@international.ucla.edu. Allow two (2) weeks of processing time once you have submitted proof of payment.
Recipients of the travel grant must agree to:
• Acknowledge the UCLA Y&S Nazarian Center for Israel Studies in any publications resulting from the grant (provide e-mail citations/links).
• Present project research findings in a public forum sponsored by the UCLA Y&S Nazarian Center for Israel studies and/or prepare a project-related article for publication on the Center’s website or newsletter.
For more information about the travel grant and the application process, please contact the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 825-9646.
For technical assistance, please contact Nora Joswig, UCLA International Institute IT Special Projects Coordinator, email@example.com.
Published: Wednesday, August 24, 2016
10367 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487
Campus Mail Code: 148703
Click here to join our email list