CFR’s David Rockefeller Studies Program is one of the country’s largest foreign policy think tanks with a widely respected and influential research staff. The Studies Program aims to advance the discussion of American foreign policy and international affairs through its writing, publications, public outreach, and discussions.
The research associate will work under the direction of the C.V. Starr Senior Fellow and Director for Asia Studies.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Researching specific areas as requested by the fellow. Tracking both English and Chinese-language news and data sources on Chinese domestic and foreign policy, including economic, political, security, environmental, and other issues.
- Handling writing assignments, including writing research memos and editing blogs and articles.
Providing administrative support to the fellow, including responding to media requests, arranging travel, and handling correspondence.
- Coordinating events, including preparing and sending invitations, scheduling, corresponding with speakers and presiders, helping to prepare background papers and materials for distribution, and providing other logistical support.
- Assisting with managing finances, including preparing budgets and tracking monthly statements, monitoring grant information and writing reports and requests, creating and updating Excel spreadsheets, and preparing vouchers for reimbursement.
- Assisting the fellow with social media outreach, including publishing a blog, website, video, and/or using social media applications such as Twitter, Google+, etc., as needed.
- Providing support across departmental lines and for other fellows, upon request.
- BA degree in international relations or a related field, with strong academic credentials and a concentration on Chinese studies.
- Advanced Mandarin Chinese language skills are required, with the ability to conduct research with and translate Chinese-language materials (familiarity with the Chinese internet, bulletin boards, and social networking sites a plus).
- Related administrative and/or internship experience.
- Strong research, proofreading, and editing skills.\
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
More information can be found here.