What classes do I need for the IDS major?
You can find information about requirements for the IDS major on the Major Worksheet

How do I get into the IDS major?

  • Complete all non-language preparation courses, and one modern foreign language equivalent to UCLA level 3. Remaining language courses may be completed while you have major standing.
  • All preparation courses for the major must be taken for a letter grade.
  • The UC GPA for all preps must be a minimum of 2.00. (transfer students typically don't have a UC GPA)
  • Submit the online declaration form by no later Summer of your Junior year (only applies to 23-24 academic year). Students will be notified if they are admitted into the major within 3 weeks of submission.

What are the GPA requirements to enter the major?
The  IDS major requires a minimum GPA of  2.0  for the preparation courses.  There is no minimum grade requirement for individual courses as long as you get above an 'F'. So, even if you get a 'C-' (or all the way down to a 'D-') in one course, it will still count towards the preparation requirements as long as you've met the GPA minimum with the other courses for the preps.

What are the ways in which I can fulfill the language requirement?

You can fulfill the language requirement by:

  • Taking a UCLA equivalent course of 2 years of any modern language OR
  • Taking a language placement test at UCLA's appropriate language departments (requirement can be fulfilled in part on in total by the test) OR
  • Being a native speaker who is born and raised in a non-English speaking country (subject to approval)

Can I minor in IDS?
No, the IDS program doesn't offer a minor.

Can I get a Minor in addition to my IDS major?
Sure, we encourage students to pursue a minor. The International Institute offers a variety of minors in International & Area Studies as well as Global Studies. (For a list of other minors the university offers, please visit the UCLA General Catalog and follow the link to Undergraduate Minors and Specializations.

Which regions does the IDS Region Area of Studies major cover?

a. East Asia and East Central Asia
b. Eastern Europe and West Central Asia
c. Latin America and Caribbean Basin
d. Middle East and North Africa
e. South and Southeast Asia and Pacific Islands
f. Sub-Saharan Africa

g. Global North

Can I use courses for both the major and the minor?
Yes, students can use up to 5 upper division courses towards both the IDS major and another major/minor. Keep in mind that there is no limit in the number of lower division courses students can overlap with other major/minor/GEs.  Also, make sure to check with the department offering your other major/minor since they may have their own overlap restrictions.

Can I double major in IDS and another major?
In order to double major, you first need to have taken all the preparation courses for both majors plus two upper division courses in each major. However, you may submit the IDS online form before having completed the requirements for your other major and once admitted to IDS, you have the option of completing all requirements listed above for both majors and may submit a double major petition.  For additional information please visit the College of Letters and Science website

The College's rule is that no more than 5 (20 units) upper division courses may be common to both majors.  Courses used for preparation requirements are not counted in this overlap.

For additional information please visit the College of Letters and Science website

What are the GPA requirements once I'm a declared major?
Note that the IDS major requires a minimum GPA of 2.00 for all upper division courses combined for the major, not a particular grade in any one course.

  Students need to obtain at least a "C" on the following courses: Intl Dv 110, M120, 130.


On June 5th, 2023, continuing students can check MyUCLA for assigned enrollment appointments.
MyUCLA: click on Study List or Class Planner -> Enrollment Appointments (on the right hand side)
Holds that prevent enrollment: Degree Audit or MyUCLA (Academics -> Academic Profile -> Holds) take steps to remove the hold now

Schedule of Classes AND IDS website

First pass: enroll in courses that are in high demand, required, or are likely to fill quickly, such as core courses, labs, foreign language, and popular GEs.
Class Planner: use to create potential schedules and enroll.
Pre-requisites & restrictions: Some pre-requisites are required and enforced. Some courses are restricted to students in particular majors or with a particular class standing (e.g., juniors and seniors only).
IDS courses are restricted for majors only and are not open to pre-IDS students until second pass.
Swapping discussion sections: If a class is full, DO NOT try and swap your discussion, as swapping into a closed discussion will drop you from the class. To swap your discussion section in a class that is full:

  • Find a student in the discussion you wish to enroll in who is willing to switch discussions with you
  • Email our office (idps@international.ucla.edu) with both of your UIDs and discussion sections, and cc the other student in the email
  • Await for confirmation from our office that your discussion sections were swapped, and double check on MyUCLA



You can use the Search Criteria function in the schedule of classes to find particular modes:


Held at scheduled times with faculty delivering course content using remote communication tools and students in attendance using those tools. Faculty will not record the class.


Held at scheduled times with faculty delivering course content using remote communication tools and with students in attendance using those tools. Faculty will record the class and make available those scheduled activities for subsequent use by students. However, faculty may still request participation during scheduled meeting times.


With the exception of office hours or review sections, there are no pre-scheduled sessions for this class. Lectures and all class content will be available online.

ALLOWED UNITS You may enroll in up to 10 units during priority/first pass, and 9 units in your second pass, for a total of 19 units.

o If you are not automatically eligible, you may submit a petition requesting excess units.
o Please check MyUCLA to see how many units you have been granted before submitting a petition.

General academic advisor in your School/College/Department can assist you with your program plan. To confirm advising unit, check the upper right corner of your Degree Audit.
NOTE: advising is extremely busy during enrollment, and appointments may be scarce, wait times may be long, and email and messages may take longer to receive a response. Please be patient and know that your advisors are working extremely hard during this time.


How do I get into a "majors only" class?
You need to be a declared major to take these courses, except during the Summer sessions, which generally are not restricted to majors

Can I repeat a course if I got a C?
No, you can only repeat if you receive a 'C-' or below.  The newer grade will replace that of the previous one in your GPA (as long as you haven't exceeded the 16 unit repeat limit).  You are not required to do so, however. For additional information please visit the College of Letters and Science Website.

How do I get a PTE?
PTE stands for "Permission to Enroll." PTE's are not given out in this office.  Please contact the professor to inquire about a PTE #.

What is a 199 (Independent Study) course and is it possible to have it apply towards the IDS major?
199 are independent studies courses in which you work directly with a professor on a course of study agreed upon by both of you. If you take a 199, you can  have it count towards Part 4 (Regional or General Electives) for the IDS major. The department the 199 is listed under doesn't matter. However, the topic must be related to the courses that are already applicable to the major.  Before enrolling to a 199, file a preliminary petition with our office to see if the topic of your paper is applicable to the major.  Once approved, create a “Contract Course” through MyUCLA. Official approval of the 199 course, however, will be based on the final paper.

Is it possible to apply courses not already approved towards the IDS major?
For courses not already approved for IDS, please submit a Petition for Chair Review that can be found on our Courses tab

Can I take any courses P/NP to count towards the major?
All courses for the major, including preparation courses, must be taken for a letter grade, regardless if they are taken at UCLA or elsewhere.  While grades for non-UC courses do not get figured into the UCLA GPA, the grade will appear on the institution's transcript. If you choose to take a course P/NP, you can still get unit credit towards your degree, but won't count for your major. For more information, see the "Transfer Credit & Study Abroad Credit" link from the IDS homepage.

How do I remove an incomplete once I finish the work?
Once the instructor receives your completed work by the end of  your next enrolled term, he/she will complete the paperwork with the department.

The Incomplete notation is still on my transcripts even after I finished the assigned work.
An Incomplete grade will never be replaced or removed from your DPR. The new grade will appear on your DPR  the quarter the coursework was completed.

Is there an order to the classes?
All preparation courses must be taken before you can officially enter into the major. Many classes also have prerequisites, so please check with the department or consult the current schedule of classes for prerequisites. Students must have completed IDS 1, which is a pre-requisite to 110, IDS M120 and IDS 130 (these three courses do not have to be sequential order) before taking IDS 191.

Are  IDS M120 and Poli Sci M167C the same?
You can enroll under either listing, IDS M120 or Pol Sci M167C, as the courses are equivalent.  The DPR should recognize this and apply either towards the IDS major.

I took a class at a Community College, will it transfer to UCLA?
The courses usually transfer and will show on your transcripts. However, if they have not been posted, you need to make sure your community college sent the transcripts to UCLA admissions.

Can I start major classes before I am officially accepted into the major?
Yes, you may take any approved courses towards the IDS major, as long as it is not restricted and you meet the required prerequisites.

Where can I find my  DAR?
You can access your DAR from URSA. If you need assistance understanding it, see a College counselor or your major's counselor  for assistance.

Can I get credit for my AP courses?
It depends on the class and the score you received. Please refer to the Admissions website for more information, and click on Credit from Advanced Placement Exams if you have additional questions, please contact our office

I want to study abroad, can I have courses apply towards the major?
Yes, this will of course depend on where you study abroad and if the courses you take are applicable to the IDS major. All courses must be pre-approved, but final approval is determined by the IDS chair via a petition (once you come back from abroad and courses have posted to your DPR). The number of courses you take abroad will depend on how long you intent to study abroad for. Visit our Travel Study tab and the International Education Office for study abroad programs


How can I find an internship that is right for me? 

1. REFLECT: What kind of work do you enjoy? In what specific area of development would you like to pursue a career (public health, planning, finance, human rights, education, environment, etc.)? What skills do you have or need to acquire and how will the internship help you meet those goals (field work, practical experience, opportunities for networking or building professional relationships)? What kind of institution do you want to work with? Do you have an interest in a particular geographical area or issue area? When do you want to do this internship? Are you willing to gain experience by volunteering alone, or are you only seeking paid internships?

2. TALK: to other students who have had internships and with career advisors.

3. SEARCH: Look for internships on Handshake, attend Career Center fairs, and read our Weekly Bulletin to learn about internship and job opportunities available to International Institute Students. Please go to our 'Internship' tab on the IDS website, or the 'Internships' page under 'Resources' in the top menu. There, you can find specific internships in a wide variety of professional fields that are great opportunities for IDS majors. 

Can I receive academic credit for my internship?

Yes. You can receive academic credit by enrolling in I A STD 195CE. You must visit the Center for Community Learning for approval for your internship. If you wish to use this course towards specific IDS major requirements, please consult with an IDS advisor. For more information, please visit the 'Internships' page under 'Resources' for further details.

Where can I find funding for my internship? 

The International Institute offers scholarships for internships abroad. Please see our Internships tab. 

For more scholarship information, please contact the Scholarship Resource Center.

How can I get information on jobs?

 For job opportunities, you may contact or meet with an advisor from the Career Center. We also advertise recent job opportunities on our Weekly Bulletin. Handshake is a great way to learn about job opportunities for Bruins who are recent grads.

Questions that go beyond your major (e.g., max units, adding, dropping classes, incompletes, pass/no pass units, GEs, minimum progress, expected cumulative progress, academic probation, graduating in absentia, academic residence, repeating courses, etc.) should be addressed to your college counseling unit. Visit the College of Letters and Science FAQ's webpage for assistance here.

How do I get into IDS Departmental Honors Program?
You can find information on how to apply to the Honors program under the 'Research and Awards' tab above.

What are your office hours? Where are you located?
We are located in 10270 and 10274 Bunche Hall. Our office hours are:
Monday - Thursday: 9:30 - 11:30AM & 1:00 - 4:00PM
Friday: 9:30 - 11:30AM 

How do I locate one of my professors?
Please go to the UCLA directory: www.directory.ucla.edu

Which professors do you recommend?
The best way to learn about professors is by talking to students who have already taken a particular professor's course. There is also www.bruinwalk.com for student feedback.

You can also obtain more information on a professor's background on the Faculty link on the right side of the IDS homepage  or by going to the department homepage of the faculty member or the International Institute Centers.