Academics Logo
Academics Logo

East Asian Studies M.A.

  • About Us

    Our Students' Testimonials:


    The M.A. degree in East Asian Studies is an interdisciplinary program intended to enable students to develop a broad understanding of an individual East Asian culture or to engage in comparative study of two or more East Asian cultures.

    Students pursuing the East Asian Studies M.A. are normally expected to concentrate on one particular country by choosing a variety of courses in various departments. These may include those covering other areas of Asia, those partially covering East Asia, Asian-American Studies, as well as relevant methodology and theory courses. Upon petition to the program and with the consent of the student's faculty advisor, individual programs may be designed to fit specific interests.

    In most cases, the M.A. degree in East Asian Studies is suitable for those who seek to develop a general range of knowledge of the area as preparation for careers in fields such as journalism, business, law, government service, public health, or secondary school preparation.  Many of our students continue their studies in Ph.D. programs in variety of fields. 

    Areas of Study

    The program recognizes three areas of specialization: China, Japan, and Korea. Comparative fields may be incorporated into an area of specialization with consent of the student's faculty advisor.

  • People


    William Marotti, Chair, East Asian Studies

    Michael Berry, Ph.D., Asian Languages and Cultures
    William M. Bodiford, Ph.D., Asian Languages and Cultures
    Michelle Liu Carriger, Ph.D., Theater
    Torquil Duthie, Ph.D., Asian Languages and Cultures
    Michael D. Emmerich, Ph.D., Asian Languages and Cultures
    Andrea S. Goldman, Ph.D., History
    Katsuya Hirano, Ph.D., History
    Kristopher Keresy, Ph.D., Art History
    Hui-Shu Lee, Ph.D., Art History
    William Marotti, Ph.D., History
    Sean Metzger, Ph.D., Theater
    Kyeyoung Park, Ph.D., Anthropology, Asian American Studies
    Shu-mei Shih, Ph.D., Asian American Studies, Asian Languages & Cultures, Comparative Literature
    Mariko Tamanoi, Ph.D., Anthropology
    Michael F. Thies, Ph.D., Political Science
    James Tong, Ph.D., Political Science


    Magda Yamamoto, Academic Counselor
    UCLA International Institute Academic Programs
    Office of Academic Advising
    10256 Bunche Hall, Mail Code 148703
    Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487

    Tel: 310-206-6571

    Academic Counseling drop in hours:
    10:00 am - 11:30 am and 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm in 10256 Bunche (10th floor)

    Our Students

    Under Construction... more to come!


    Ben Ostrow

    Linguistics and East Languages and Culture B.A., University of Illinois Urbana Champaign

    Hometown: Evanston, Illinois

    I grew up in Evanston, Illinois, and graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign with a bachelor of arts in linguistics and East Asian languages and cultures. Prior to joining the graduate program here at UCLA, I worked as an English teacher at a public school in Kobe, Japan. I am primarily interested in comparing the experiences of ordinary citizens in North and South Korea, particularly North Korean defectors in the South. I plan to continue on to a doctoral degree upon completing my master’s at UCLA. When I am not doing research or taking classes, I like to travel, compete in Super Smash Bros tournaments, and watch movies from the 1980s.


    David Yang

    German Literature and Cultural History B.A., Columbia University 

    Born in Beijing, I grew up between China and Canada, and moved to the U.S. for college, graduating in 2017 from Columbia College, Columbia University, with a B.A. in German Literature and Cultural History (Honors). At UCLA, I am interested in examining the construction and representation of colonial modernity in early 20th century East Asia through the lenses of urban culture, mobility, travel writing, architecture, and infrastructure (especially railway systems). I would like to focus on border-crossings, connectivities, and contingencies in the spaces of encounter and exchange created by European and Japanese imperialism within and between various sites in East Asia. I plan to pursue a PhD after completing the EAS M.A. program. My hobbies include city walks, photography, and railroad journeys.


    Shuwen Yang

    Comparative Literature and German B.A., University of Hong Kong

    Hometown: Yangzhou City, China

    I was born and raised in Yangzhou City, Jiangsu Province in China. I received my B.A. degree from the University of Hong Kong with a double major in Comparative Literature and German. I am particularly interested in Chinese-language films, and hope to learn more about the motifs of them (trauma, memory, identity, etc.) as well as the medium "film" itself. I love reading science-fictions in my spare time. After UCLA, I plan to pursue a Ph.D. degree in East Asian Studies or Film Studies.


    Eugene Yong

    Political Science B.A., UCLA

    Home country: Singapore

    I am from Singapore and graduated from UCLA with a BA in Political Science in 2019. My research interests are Chinese politics and the Chinese military (PLA). I will be serving as a public servant in Singapore after I complete my studies. I like to exercise and play sports in my free time.


    Hongyi Yu

    History B.A., UCLA

    Hongyi comes from China and enters the program with a B.A. in history obtained at UCLA. His research interests lie in social and cultural history of China in the Mao era (1949–1976). Specifically he is interested in the working and reception of propaganda during political campaigns and in the very fabric of people's everyday lives. He hopes to continue his research in a doctoral program after finishing the M.A. degree at UCLA.



  • Degree Requirements

    Course Requirements

    Nine courses are required for the degree, at least five of which must be graduate seminars (200 level classes). The other four may be upper division courses (100 level classes) or additional graduate courses. Please note: lower division language classes (below the 100 level) do not count toward completion of the required nine classes.

    Of the nine courses, at least five must be in the student's area of concentration including one survey course chosen in consultation with the Graduate Studies Chair. At least one course should be in a cultural area other than the area of concentration. No more than two courses in the 500 series (independent studies) may apply toward the nine courses and only one of these courses may be counted toward the minimum of five graduate courses required for the degree. For a complete outline of degree requirements, see "Program Requirements for UCLA Graduate Degrees" available in the program office and on the Graduate Division homepage.

    International students may also be required to take English as a Second Language 33A, 33B, 33C, 34, 36, or other English as a Second Language courses.

    Language Requirements

    A minimum of three years of an East Asian language, either Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, or demonstrated equivalency is required in addition to the nine courses required to complete the degree.

    Some students enter the program already proficient in their East Asian language of choice, and may therefore be able to complete the degree in a shorter period of time. For those students seeking further language development, the East Asian Studies MA is a great way to pursue an additional year (or perhaps two for some students) of language study while simultaneously engaging in graduate level coursework. Taking such language courses will, however, inevitably lengthen the time necessary to complete the degree. Finally, students who have mastered one East Asian language are free to use their time to study a second East Asian language, but such classes will be purely electives and will not count toward the degree. Students requiring significant language study are encouraged to do intensive summer work either at UCLA or abroad.

    Students should be advised that some graduate level classes require advanced proficiency in an East Asian language (or perhaps its ancient variant such as classical Chinese or Japanese) in order to enroll. While such enrollment requirements are not the norm, they are not uncommon.

    Academic Advisers

    Upon entrance into the program, the chair of the program will serve as each student’s temporary academic advisor. In this capacity, the chair and the advising office will serve to aid incoming students during the first quarter.

    Because the East Asian Studies degree does not offer a thesis option, however, students in the program will not have an official faculty advisor. That being said, many students will choose to work closely with a particular faculty member in an unofficial capacity. Students interested in working with a particular faculty should contact them directly to express their interests, and indeed potential applicants are encouraged to contact such faculty before applying to the program. Working closely with a particular faculty member is not required, however.

    Capstone Project

    The Capstone Project consists of the submission of three research papers (at least one seminar and two upper division papers) and evaluation of them by the ad hoc committee. The original evaluators of each paper will constitute each student’s three-person ad hoc committee.

    The average acceptable paper for comprehensive examination is between 15 and 20 pages in length. Each paper submitted should include the professor’s comments and their evaluation (this may take many forms, edits on the paper, notes written in the margin, typed comments, etc.).

    Students submit submit hardcopies of each paper to the program’s counseling office (Bunche Hall 10373) during their last term. The papers should be submitted by the last day of classes during the quarter the student wishes to graduate. The departmental chair will review the comments from the grading professors to determine satisfactory/unsatisfactory. Please submit the three papers along with the Comprehensive Exam Approval Form to the program office. 


    The thesis plan requires the completion of an approved thesis that demonstrates the student's ability to perform original, independent research. The thesis option is available by permission of the graduate adviser. Upon obtaining permission, the student, in consultation with the graduate adviser, selects a three-member faculty committee to supervise and assess the thesis. The thesis committee works closely with the student in the development, writing, and revision of the thesis, and is responsible for reading, evaluating, and approving the drafts and final version of the thesis, ensuring thereby that it meets the University standards of scholarship. Once the final version is approved, the thesis committee recommends the award of the M.A. degree.

    Of the nine courses for the East Asian Studies MA, at least five must be at the graduate level and at least five must be in the concentration area, including one survey course. All coursework must relate to East Asia, i.e., any research paper or project must focus on the region.

    Fall 2019 Course List







    Registration and Enrollment; Course Load

    Students are advised to remain aware of all campus deadlines applicable to registration and enrollment (which appear in the CALENDAR section of the UCLA Schedule of Classes). Failure to meet stipulated deadlines can result, at minimum, in the levying of late fees or other fines.

    For each quarter (Summer session excluded), all graduate students are required to be either:

    • registered and enrolled,
    • registered in absentia, or
    • on official leave of absence

    Students register by paying registration fees by the deadline. Students are advised to enroll in at least 12 units per quarter unless approval by the Faculty Advisor stipulates otherwise. An exception to this policy exists only for graduate students, near their time to degree, who may be eligible to pay a filing fee. Students should monitor their academic progress online via My.UCLA and always check their records for accuracy. Any discrepancy should be immediately brought to the attention of the relevant faculty member.

    Registration and Enrollment Procedure
    All students can access their UCLA Billing Statement online through My.UCLA which will alert them to all payment amounts due for each quarter (such as registration fees, fines, outstanding debts, financial awards, and refunds).

    ENROLLMENT for all courses may be done online through My.UCLA before the stipulated deadlines. Some courses (such as most graduate level seminars) may require that the student requests a Permission to Enroll number (or "PTE") from the appropriate instructor before enrolling in a course. More detailed information about this procedure is also available through various Campus publications and from the Coordinator of Student Affairs.

    A PROJECTED COURSE LIST for each academic quarter will be distributed to every student prior to the beginning of each academic term. Each quarterly list will indicate courses that may be applied to MA degree requirements. The Faculty Advisor must check and approve all courses. Approval for enrollment in courses not appearing on this list must be obtained from the Program Chair/Faculty Advisor.
    Course lists are always subject to change without prior notice and information (such as Course ID#s, class times & locations, and instructors) should always be verified by consulting the quarterly UCLA on line Schedule of Classes.

    Leave of Absence
    Students may formally petition to take a temporary LEAVE OF ABSENCE for one to three quarters during their graduate tenure. There is a maximum of three quarters of leave permitted to UCLA students. Leave of absence is not automatically granted and there must be a valid reason for the leave to be approved. Students are eligible for leave of absence only for one of the following reasons: outside employment, medical, parental obligations, other family obligations, military, emergency, financial hardship.
    Students on a leave of absence are not eligible for any financial assistance from the university and are not covered by the Graduate Students Health Insurance policy (GSHIP).

    Registration in Absentia
    A registered student can apply for Registration in Absentia when (s)he needs to conduct research outside of California. Student’s research has to be directly related to his/her degree program.
    For more information on the Leave of Absence and the Registration in absentia please click here.

    Registered students wishing to officially WITHDRAW from the Program are advised to notify Graduate Division via formal petition. Failure to do so can result in the seizure of the student's Transcripts and Official Records and/or legal action by the University.

    An "Incomplete" (appearing on the student transcript as an "I" rather than letter grade) indicates either that the student has not satisfied the minimum requirements for a given course or, alternatively (and rarely), indicates that the instructor (through prior agreement with the student) has allowed a temporary grade assignment of "Incomplete" to stand for one quarter and be immediately changed into a letter grade the following quarter (this typically occurs only with courses spanning more than a single quarter).
    Incomplete grades can become very serious!!! If the student fails to satisfy the required coursework by the end of the following quarter, the Incomplete Grade will revert to a Failing Grade of "F" (not easy to later remove from the student's transcript).
    In order to petition for any grade change or to remove an Incomplete grade, a form signed by the Chair/Faculty Advisor must be submitted to Graduate Division with a processing fee, supporting documentation, and an explanatory letter from the course instructor.

    Current fees are listed on the UCLA Graduate Division website . California residents are exempt from  Non-Resident Tuition. Non-California residency are encouraged to obtain California residency for tuition purposes as soon as possible. Students should contact the Academic Advisor for more information. International students are not eligible for California residency and should expect to pay the Non-Resident Tuition throughout their studies at UCLA.

    For more information on graduate studies rules and regulations please check the "Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA".

  • Funding Opportunities


    Graduate & Postdoctoral Extramural Support (GRAPES) Database - Search Form

    GRAPES is not a fellowship or scholarship, rather it is an extensive database created by UCLA to help graduate students search for funding opportunities from institutions all over the world. Graduate students in need of funding (from all disciplines) are encouraged to become very familiar with the GRAPES database, and to reference it regularly.

    Funding opportunities stemming directly from UCLA are sometimes limited. With GRAPES, however, graduate students may search for hundreds of potential funding sources from many universities and institutions outside of UCLA.


    General Fellowship Opportunities

    Boren Fellowship

    Boren Fellowships provide funding for U.S. graduate students to study world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East). The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded. The fellowship is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only.

    Maximum awards for the Boren Fellowships are $30,000. In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year. 

    Alice Belkin Memorial Scholarship

    The Burkle Center awards outstanding minority graduate students who have financial need and research interests relating to globalization and international relations with scholarships up to $4,000.00 each academic year. Scholarships are granted to qualified applicants who demonstrate leadership skills and academic achievement.

    Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program (GOFP)

    This one-year fellowship program provides recipients with a stipend plus tuition (and nonresident supplemental tuition if necessary).  The program supports a limited number of entering students pursuing either terminal or professional master's degrees.

    Applicants must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or undocumented students who qualify for nonresident supplemental tuition exemptions under AB 540 (eligibility for undocumented AB540 students is effective January 1, 2013). The intent of this fellowship is to provide access to higher education for students who might otherwise find it difficult or impossible to successfully pursue graduate study.

    Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program

    The U.S. Department of State funds about 600 students for summer language institutes abroad at various skill levels. CLS is a program of the U.S. Department of State and provides fully funded group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences for seven to ten weeks for U.S. citizen graduate students. Scholars will complete language coursework as well meeting with a native speaker language partner. Languages offered: Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bangla, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Turkish, and Urdu. Language levels are classified as Beginning, Advanced Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. The CLS Program provides undergraduate academic credit through Bryn Mawr College. Upon completion of the program, participants also receive a certified American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) score.

    Hilton Global Summer Scholars Program

    The Hilton Global Summer Scholars will undertake a training fellowship on initiatives focused on reducing poverty and achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Before, during, and after these summer experiences, scholars will contribute to building the evidence base on what works to improve the lives of the poor and most marginalized communities, while gaining valuable international experience and gaining the opportunity to share findings with a range of stakeholders.

    Payne International Development Fellowship

    The Payne Fellowship is a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Program, administered by Howard University, which seeks to attract and prepare outstanding individuals for careers as USAID Foreign Service Officers. Candidates can be graduating seniors or college graduates with strong academic records and a desire to promote positive change in the world. The Payne program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service and those with financial need. Selected fellows will receive support for graduate school and gain employment with USAID in an exciting rewarding career in the Foreign Service.

    Applicants must have U.S. citizenship and be seeking admission to graduate school for a two-year program in an area of relevance to the Foreign Service at a U.S.-based institution. Up to $22,000 annually toward tuition, fees and living expenses for a two-year master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as development, economics, public administration, business administration, global health, agriculture, or environmental science at a U.S.-based institution.

    The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans

    The purpose of the fellowship is to provide opportunities for continuing generations of able and accomplished New Americans to achieve leadership in their chosen field.

    Application deadline is November 1st.

    Teaching Assistantships

    Graduate students interested in teaching positions are encouraged to subscribe to the TA Marketplace group. Departments that need to fill TA vacancies post job announcements through that group.  Students need to be registered in order to have access to the group announcements. 

    African Studies Fellowship Opportunities

    The Judith Boyajian Travel Fellowship

    The Judith Boyajian Travel Fellowship is designed to provide graduate students with support for purposeful travel to and cultural immersion in Africa. Electing either to pursue study in an extant program or to design an original project that would be carried out in partnership with both a UCLA faculty member and an appropriate agency based in Africa. Key for any student who applies for the grant would be a commitment to public service, and whether in an established program or under an original project, students will also be required to be engaged in it.

    The fellowship will provide up to $4,000 to cover travel and approved related expenses and fellows are expected to spend a minimum of 45-days in-country. Fellowship cannot be combined with other funding.


    East Asian Studies Fellowship Opportunities

    Taiwan Studies Graduate Research Fellowship

    Through a grant from the Taiwan Ministry of Education, the UCLA Asia Institute will offer awards of up to $6000 to UCLA graduate students for pre-dissertation or dissertation-level research in Taiwan for summer 2015 or academic-year 2015-16. Students from any discipline may apply, but research must incorporate topics or methodologies of the humanities or social sciences.

    Eligibility: According to guidelines established by the funding agency, students who are native citizens of Taiwan, Hong Kong, or the People’s Republic of China are not eligible to apply.

    Hiroshi Wagatsuma Memorial Fellowships

    The Wagatsuma Fellowship was created in honor of the late UCLA Anthropology Professor Hiroshi Wagatsuma, who for many years served as an important bridge of mutual understanding between students and academics in Japan and the United States. He pursued cross-cultural studies in anthropology, psychology, sociology, and law until his death in 1985. Applications should be submitted online.

    Awards of up to $7000 will be made to students working on a dissertation or comparable research project with a substantial cross-cultural or comparative dimension, preferably one concerning Japan or other Asian country and North America. Applications should discuss how the proposal meets the requirements of the award to continue in the spirit of Prof. Wagatsuma's work. 

    Korean Foundation, Korean Studies Scholarship Program

    The Association for Asian Studies (AAS) annually offers 10 yearlong scholarships to graduate students majoring in Korean studies in North America. These scholarships support a master or PhD student's coursework and/or research while enrolled at their home institutions. It covers students only through the year that they are advanced to candidacy and only if they are in residence (not overseas research). Scholarships are for one academic year only. Scholarship recipients may reapply in succeeding years for additional support. Fellowship recipients are required to submit reports on their research or coursework at the conclusion of their one-year fellowship period. 

    Latin American Studies Fellowship Opportunities

    UCLA Blum Center Summer Scholars Program

    Through this program, graduate students live and work in a region of Latin America and work with universities,international institutions and/or community organizations involved in activities focused on improving health and social conditions of local populations.

    Each student will be mentored both by a faculty member from their respective university and a representative from the sponsoring host organization in Latin America.

    Monica Salinas Summer Research Scholarship 

    Currently enrolled in UCLA Latin American Studies Graduate MA Program. Departmental Scholars are eligible. Applications available Winter quarter. 



  • Admissions Information


    Note that the East Asian Studies graduate program offers a Master's degree (M.A.) only.  There is no PhD in East Asian Studies offered at UCLA.

    General admissions information, instructions about applying, and the online application for admission can be found at UCLA’s Graduate Division Website.

    Applications are only accepted for Fall term. The deadline to apply to the East Asian Studies interdepartmental graduate program is December 1.  All applicants must apply electronically for graduate admission.  The applicants will be notified about the admission decision by mid-March. 

    All materials must be complete before the application is considered.

    The following materials are required components of the admission application:

    • Statement of purpose (maximum two pages, double space).   Statement of purpose should describe academic, East Asia-related and/or professional experience
    • Three letters of recommendation
    • Graduate Record Examination scores (use Institution Code 4837 and Department Code 5199) 
    • Official transcript.  An unofficial transcript may be uploaded via on-line admission application. Official copy of transcripts (only from the institution where you received an undergraduate or graduate degree) must be sent to the program's office in a sealed envelope. If transcript is not in English, an authorized translation has to be provided. Applicants do not need to send official copies of transcripts from Community College or Study Abroad programs. 
    • A  research paper or other writing sample that well demonstrates writing and analytical skills (10 pages maximum). The goal of the writing sample is to demonstrate your ability to write professionally and clearly. For that reason, the writing sample should be written in English.
    •  TOEFL  scores (international applicants only).  Applicants who hold a degree from a university located in U.S. or another country where English is both a primary spoken language and the language of instruction, or who have completed at least two years of full time study at such institution are not required to submit TOEFL scores.   For more information please review English Requirements page.


    East Asian Studies M.A. Program Inquiries:
    Telephone: (310) 206-6571

    UCLA International Institute
    East Asian Studies Graduate Admissions
    10256 Bunche Hall
    Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487 

  • Information for Incoming Students

    Housing Options

    For students seeking housing near UCLA’s campus, there are a number of options provided by the university and by independent housing offices. Incoming students who have recently accepted an offer of admission will be contacted directly by the university via e-mail with details about how to apply for university housing. In general, most graduate students seeking university housing near campus will be competitive for housing agreements in the Weyburn Apartments.

    Weyburn Terrace Apartments

    While university housing is not guaranteed, many students in the MA program are able to secure housing in the Weyburn Terrace Apartments next to campus. The Weyburn apartments are located right next to UCLA and are within walking distance of the main campus. In addition, a very convenient university bus route connects Weyburn to the university with shuttles arriving every few minutes.

    Weyburn offers individual studio housing and housing for students seeking a roommate. Furnished and unfurnished housing options are both available. For detailed information about rates for Weyburn Terrace housing, please click here.

    Parking is available for students who obtain housing in Weyburn Terrace. A parking permit for Weyburn may be applied for during the online application process.

    Student housing is not managed by the MA program, however. As stated above, students who have recently committed to UCLA will be contacted by the university directly with information about how to apply for housing. To explore more UCLA housing information, including off-campus university housing options, please click here.

    Non-University Housing Options

    There are plenty of non-university housing options for incoming students. Craigslist is an excellent option for many students seeking housing near UCLA. Many UCLA students successfully find housing using websites such as Zuma Housing ,  Westside Rentals, ApartmentlistTrulia  and Zillow.

    Students often utilize Facebook Groups to connect with other students seeking housing in the area around Westwood. Some popular Facebook Groups are: "UCLA Sublets/Apartments," "UCLA Housing and Roommate Search," and "UCLA Housing, Rooms, Apartments, Sublets." Be wary of scams, do not click on links that look suspicious (especially in the comment sections). 

    The neighborhoods that are located in proximity to UCLA and have good bus connection to UCLA include:

    • Beverly Hills
    • Brentwood
    • Culver City
    • Mar Vista
    • Koreatown
    • Palms
    • Santa Monica
    • West Hollywood
    • West Los Angeles
    • Westwood

    Parking options

    A daily parking permit for on campus parking is $12.  

    Students may also apply for quarterly parking permits, known as orange permits. Orange commuter permits are $249 each quarter. Commuter permits only secure parking at on-campus locations. Detailed information concerning parking permits including deadlines to apply may be found here.

    Public Transportation

    Students who find off-campus housing may also use the many convenient bus routes that connect UCLA to the greater LA area:

    • Students residing "South of Wilshire" may utilize the free Bruin Bus
    • Students residing in Culver City and Palms will find the Culver City Bus very accessible.
    • Students residing in Santa Monica, Mar Vista, West Hollywood may easily commute to campus by using the Big Blue Bus.
    • Los Angeles County Metro (bus and rail) allows students to commute from many other areas of Los Angeles.
    • You can use Metro Trip Planner to find the best bus connection when traveling around Los Angeles.

    The practicality of commuting to campus using city bus lines will be determined by the distance between the student’s housing and UCLA. While extremely affordable, some students may experience commutes of up to an hour in each direction to and from campus. Students are encouraged to consider all these factors while selecting appropriate housing.

    Obtaining California Residency for Tuition Purposes

    Out of state students can apply for California residency after completing their first year at UCLA. If approved, students will be able to pay the in-state tuition during their second or any subsequent year at UCLA. For more information, such as required documentation and deadlines to apply please visit the Registrar’s website.

    Please note that this information does not apply to international students.

  • Affiliated Research Centers

East Asian Studies Students