The applications for Fall 2024 are now closed and we are no longer accepting applications.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Official admission decisions for Fall 2024 will be sent out by UCLA's Division of Graduate Education in early April. Please consider adding as a trusted address in your email client to make sure important messages are received.


The application for Fall 2025 will be available in September 2024.


Note that the East Asian Studies graduate program offers a Master's degree (M.A.) only.  There is no PhD in East Asian Studies offered at UCLA.

General admissions information, instructions about applying, and the online application for admission can be found at UCLA’s Graduate Division Website.

Applications are only accepted for Fall term. The deadline to apply to the East Asian Studies interdepartmental graduate program is December 1.  All applicants must apply electronically for graduate admission.  The applicants will be notified about the admission decision by mid-March.

All materials must be received by our office before the application is considered.

The following materials are required components of the admission application:

  • UCLA Online Application
  • Statement of purpose (up to 500 words in length. Follow the UCLA Online Application instructions.). Statement of purpose should describe academic, East Asia-related and/or professional experience. Applicants may include information about their academic achievements and goals for study at UCLA.
  • Personal statement (up to 500 words in length. Follow the UCLA Online Application instructions). Personal statement is an opportunity to provide additional information that may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for graduate study at UCLA. It will also be used to consider candidates for the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship.  Instructions are provided in the application as well.  You can find additional information and eligibility requirements here.
  • Three letters of recommendation preferably from former or current professors or from other individuals who can attest to applicant's ability to succeed in graduate school. Letters should be uploaded via the online application system.
  • A research paper or other writing sample that well demonstrates writing and analytical skills (10 pages maximum). The goal of the writing sample is to demonstrate your ability to write professionally and clearly. The writing sample should be written in English.
  • Transcript. An unofficial transcript should be uploaded via on-line admission application. If transcript is not in English, an authorized translation has to be provided.  In such cases, please upload the transcript in the original language in addition to the English translation.  Official transcript with degree award date is required upon admission to the program. Applicants do not need to send official copies of transcripts from community college or study abroad programs.
  • TOEFL scores:  International applicants only or domestic students who earned undergraduate degree outside of U.S. Applicants who hold a degree from a university located in U.S. or another country where English is both a primary spoken language and the language of instruction, or who have completed at least two years of full time study at such institution are not required to submit TOEFL scores. For more information please review English Requirements page. Please contact the ETS if your TOEFL score is not linking to the UCLA online application portal. 

For information on financial assistance please check "Funding" tab on this webpage.    


East Asian Studies M.A. Program Inquiries:

UCLA International Institute
East Asian Studies Graduate Admissions
10256 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487 


Admissions Information Session, October 2023

The links shared during the info session are available here. 



Graduate & Postdoctoral Extramural Support (GRAPES) Database - Search Form

GRAPES is not a fellowship or scholarship, rather it is an extensive database created by UCLA to help graduate students search for funding opportunities from institutions all over the world. Graduate students in need of funding (from all disciplines) are encouraged to become very familiar with the GRAPES database, and to reference it regularly.

Funding opportunities stemming directly from UCLA are sometimes limited. With GRAPES, however, graduate students may search for hundreds of potential funding sources from many universities and institutions outside of UCLA.

UCLA Funding Opportunities

Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program (GOFP) for incoming students 
This one-year fellowship program provides recipients with a stipend plus tuition (and nonresident supplemental tuition if necessary). The program supports a limited number of entering students pursuing either terminal or professional master's degrees.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or undocumented students who qualify for nonresident supplemental tuition exemptions under AB 540 (eligibility for undocumented AB540 students is effective January 1, 2013). The intent of this fellowship is to provide access to higher education for students who might otherwise find it difficult or impossible to successfully pursue graduate study.

East Asia Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship for incoming and continuing students. Applicants must by U.S. citizens or permanent residents. 

East Asian Studies Program Fellowship    for incoming students (both international and domestic students are eligible).  No application required.  Students are awarded the fellowship based on merit during the application review process. 

Alice Belkin Memorial Scholarship  for continuing students
The UCLA Burkle Center awards outstanding minority graduate students who have financial need and research interests relating to globalization and international relations with scholarships up to $4,000.00 each academic year. Scholarships are granted to qualified applicants who demonstrate leadership skills and academic achievement.

J. Yang Scholarship   for incoming students. Applicants must be students from Taiwan and  pursue study at UCLA. 

UCLA Asia Pacific Center funding opportunities can be found here.

UCLA Terasaki Center for Japanese Studies funding opportunities can be found here.

TA Marketplace Registered students are highly encouraged to subscribe to this group which advertises Teaching Assistantship vacancies on campus. 


Non-UCLA Fellowships

Boren Fellowship
Boren Fellowships provide funding for U.S. graduate students to study world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East). The fellowship is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only.
Maximum awards for the Boren Fellowships are $30,000. In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year.

The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
The purpose of the fellowship is to provide opportunities for continuing generations of able and accomplished New Americans to achieve leadership in their chosen field. Application deadline is November 1st.

Payne International Development Fellowship
The Payne Fellowship is a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Program, administered by Howard University, which seeks to attract and prepare outstanding individuals for careers as USAID Foreign Service Officers. Candidates can be graduating seniors or college graduates with strong academic records and a desire to promote positive change in the world. The Payne program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service and those with financial need. Selected fellows will receive support for graduate school and gain employment with USAID in an exciting rewarding career in the Foreign Service.

Applicants must have U.S. citizenship and be seeking admission to graduate school for a two-year program in an area of relevance to the Foreign Service at a U.S.-based institution. Up to $22,000 annually toward tuition, fees and living expenses for a two-year master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as development, economics, public administration, business administration, global health, agriculture, or environmental science at a U.S.-based institution.

For students seeking housing near UCLA’s campus, there are a number of options provided by the university and by independent housing offices. Incoming students who have recently accepted an offer of admission will be contacted directly by the university via e-mail with details about how to apply for university housing. In general, most graduate students seeking university housing near campus will be competitive for housing agreements in the Weyburn Apartments.


Weyburn Terrace Apartments for Graduate Students

While university housing is not guaranteed, some students in the MA program are able to secure housing in the Weyburn Terrace Apartments next to campus. The Weyburn apartments are located right next to UCLA and are within walking distance of the main campus. In addition, a very convenient university bus route connects Weyburn to the university with shuttles arriving every few minutes.

Weyburn offers individual studio housing and housing for students seeking a roommate. Furnished and unfurnished housing options are both available. For detailed information about rates for Weyburn Terrace housing, please click here.

Parking is available for students who obtain housing in Weyburn Terrace. A parking permit for Weyburn may be applied for during the online application process.

Student housing is not managed by the MA program, however. As stated above, students who have recently committed to UCLA will be contacted by the university directly with information about how to apply for housing.


Other University Housing Options


Non-University Housing Options

There are many non-university housing options for students. Be wary of scams, do not click on links that look suspicious (especially in the comment sections). Please read Renters' Scam Alert published by UCLA Student Legal Services.

Craigslist is an option for many students seeking housing near UCLA. Many UCLA students successfully find housing using websites such as Westside RentalsTrulia, and Zillow.


Students often utilize Facebook Groups to connect with other students seeking housing in the area around Westwood. There are both private and public Facebook Groups, including "UCLA Housing and Roommate Search."

The neighborhoods that are located in proximity to UCLA and have good bus connection to UCLA include:

  • Beverly Hills
  • Brentwood
  • Culver City
  • Mar Vista
  • Koreatown
  • Palms
  • Santa Monica
  • West Hollywood
  • West Los Angeles
  • Westwood

Parking options

A daily parking permit for on campus parking is $15.  

Students may also apply for quarterly parking permits, known as orange permits.  Commuter permits only secure parking at on-campus locations. Detailed information concerning parking permits including deadlines to apply may be found here.  Parking rates for students can be found here.

Public Transportation

Students who find off-campus housing may also use the many convenient bus routes that connect UCLA to the greater LA area:

  • Students residing "South of Wilshire" may utilize the free Bruin Bus
  • Students residing in Culver City and Palms will find the Culver City Bus very accessible.
  • Students residing in Santa Monica, Mar Vista, West Hollywood may easily commute to campus by using the Big Blue Bus.
  • Los Angeles County Metro (bus and rail) allows students to commute from many other areas of Los Angeles.
  • You can use Metro Trip Planner to find the best bus connection when traveling around Los Angeles.

The practicality of commuting to campus using city bus lines will be determined by the distance between the student’s housing and UCLA. While extremely affordable, some students may experience commutes of up to an hour in each direction to and from campus. Students are encouraged to consider all these factors while selecting appropriate housing.

Obtaining California Residency for Tuition Purposes

Out of state students can apply for California residency after completing their first year at UCLA. If approved, students will be able to pay the in-state tuition during their second or any subsequent year at UCLA. For more information, such as required documentation and deadlines to apply please visit the Registrar’s website.

Please note that this information does not apply to international students.



Yumi Kinoshita, Academic Advisor


Prospective students/applicants can email us at:   


Current UCLA students (UID required) can contact the advising office as follows:   

 Email:  (Please include UID in their emails) 

  Make a Zoom advising appointment

  To schedule an in-person appointment please email 

  Bunche Hall, Room 10256 (10th floor)

Mailing Address:

UCLA International Institute Academic Programs
Office of Academic Advising
10256 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487