Check campus covid related updates HERE.  

 Global Health Course Lists by Term

**For all courses notated as "Additional Courses," you MUST contact our advising office to have the course appear on your DARS. Send an email to with your full name, UID, and class information**


  • Most upper division courses will lift enrollment restriction to non-majors during the second pass.
  • Students may count only one of the following courses toward Global Health preparation: STATS 10, 13; LIFESCI 40.
  • All courses for the Global Health minor (lower division & upper division) must be taken for letter grade.


Enrollment: Things to Know

Always Check Enrollment Restrictions for Classes: 
Students in the Global Health minor will need to follow enrollment policies of departments that offer the courses. Please note that most departments restrict enrollment during the first enrollment pass. GH minors may be able to enroll in the courses during the second enrollment pass.  

Note about 100 courses: 
Courses numbered 100 such as, Biostatistics 100, Community Health 100, Environmental Health Sciences 100, Public Health 100 and Health Policy 100 may be restricted to the Public Health students during the academic year. However, they will be open to all students if offered in the summer. 

Note about Nursing C155 "Globalization, Social Justice, and Human Rights"
This is a 3 unit course. Students who wish to apply this course to the Global Health minor will need to take either an additional course or 5-unit course in order to satisfy the College requirement of minimum 20 upper division minor units.

5-unit upper division courses that can be applied to the Global Health Minor (enrollment is not guaranteed):

  • Disability Studies 101W
  • Gerontology M108 (Social Welfare M108)
  • Honors Collegium 105

Students can submit a Petition to the Chair of Global Health if they want to apply a course not included on the minor worksheet. This may also include courses taken or to be taken abroad. Students must include the course syllabus with their petition.

Students are allowed to submit up to 2 petitions (including petitions for lower or upper division coursework). Courses listed on the Additional Course List do not count as a petition since they are already approved. Students taking courses abroad may be allowed to submit more than 2 courses. For questions, please contact our Advising Office.

** Please be aware that the petition may be denied and you will need to plan alternative coursework. **

Petition submissions will be checked at the end of each week. Please allow 2-3 weeks for the committee's decision.

Petition Form





  • Boren Scholarships: Boren Scholarships provide funding for U.S. undergraduate students to study world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East). The scholarship is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only. Maximum awards for the Boren Fellowships are $20,000. In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year.
  • Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) ProgramThe U.S. Department of State funds about 600 students for summer language institutes abroad at various skill levels. CLS is a program of the U.S. Department of State and provides fully funded group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences for eight to ten weeks for U.S. citizen undergraduate students. Upon completion of the program, participants receive U.S. Academic Credit from Bryn Mawr College and an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) score.



UCLA Undergraduate Research Center Awards:


  • UndocuBruins Fellowship Program: a fellowship program that ensures all students, regardless of immigration status, have the opportunity to receive financial support and achieve their educational and professional goals. Application closes August 29th, 2022.
  • Mariposa Achivement Project (MAP) Scholarship: MAP Scholarship was created to support undocumented students cover the cost of academic materials. Application will close on September 23, 2022.



  • The Judith Boyajian Travel Fellowship: The Judith Boyajian Travel Fellowship is designed to provide undergraduate and graduate students with support for purposeful travel to and cultural immersion in Africa. Key for any student who applies for the grant would be a commitment to public service, and whether in an established program or under an original project, students will also be required to be engaged in it. The fellowship will provide up to $4,000 to cover travel and approved related expenses and fellows are expected to spend a minimum of 45-days in-country. Applications open in early Winter quarter. 


  • Payne International Development Fellowship: The Payne Fellowship is a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Program which seeks to attract and prepare outstanding individuals for careers as USAID Foreign Service Officers. Graduating seniors or college graduates with strong academic records are eligible to apply. The Payne program encourages members of historically underrepresented minority groups and those with financial need to apply. Selected fellows will receive support for graduate school and gain employment with USAID in an exciting rewarding career in the Foreign Service with a commitment minimum of five years. Applicants must have U.S. citizenship. Awards up to $22,000 annually toward tuition, fees and living expenses for a two-year master's degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as development, economics, public administration, business administration, global health, agriculture, or environmental science at a U.S.-based institution.
  • The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New AmericansThe purpose of the fellowship is to provide opportunities for continuing generations of immigrants or children of immigrants to achieve leadership in their chosen field. Generous stipends of up to $25,000 are awarded, as well as tuition scholarships. Undergraduate students may apply for this scholarship while simultaneously applying to graduate school. Application deadline is November 1st. 



All Regions



Program-Specific Aid

Students studying abroad through programs below are eligible for funding.

General Study Abroad Scholarship Sites

  • UCLA Summer Travel Study Scholarships & Other Scholarship Opportunities
  • UCLA Scholarship Resource Center-Study Abroad Scholarships
    Search for scholarships, grants, & fellowships. Located at 233 Covel Commons. For more information, call (310) 206-2875
    Forum on Financial Aid-Sources and Tips for Study Abroad Funding
  • UCLA Career Center Lab & UCLA Library
    There are numerous books available that highlight financial aid for specific programs and destinations. Here are a few to look into:
    • Financial Aid for Study Abroad by Gail Ann Schlachter and R. David Weber.
    • Work, Study, Travel Abroad: The Whole World Handbook, Council on International Educational Exchange.
    • Financial aid for research and creative activities abroad, Reference Service Press.
    • Financial aid for study and training abroad, Reference Service Press.
    • Financial resources for international study: a guide for U.S. nationals, Institution of International Education.

students studying abroad





-Programs Offered in the Summer ONLY
-Courses taught by our own UCLA Faculty
-Open to anyone over the age of 18
-In most cases, two UCLA courses offered during a Summer Travel program. They will automatically appear on your transcript.



 Quick Facts:

  • Programs Offered Year-round (i.e. Fall, Winter, Spring, Winter & Spring (Semester), Summer, and Year-long programs)
  • Full Immersion -  Take Classes at a University Abroad, Classes taught by University Professors, Live in University dorms (some programs)
  • Programs run through the UC system, not specific to UCLA 

Visit our UCEAP Databases to see which courses have been pre-approved:          

*You are not limited to these courses. If you would like to take a different course, please submit a petition. See below for details.




Check the IEO Scholarship page for a complete list of scholarships.



For 2023-2024 we will be offering virtual and in-person advising support.

Note: During September & October, advising appointments will be limited. We appreciate your understanding and encourage you to read our FAQs.

We strive to provide holistic and comprehensive support to our students through one-on-one advising, workshops, and events that focus on academic and professional planning, exploration of research, internship opportunities, and experiences abroad. 


Yumi Kinoshita

Academic Advisor

Undergraduate Counselor


Olivia Gonzalez

Undergraduate Counselor


We can assist you with:

  • Major, pre-major, and minor questions and petitions to declare (I A STD & Global Health)
  • Educational planning and course sequencing
  • Course petitions and substitutions
  • DARS updates for major/minor
  • Enrollment questions for I A STD and Global Health courses
  • Contract courses (I A STD 195CE & 198A/B/C, GH 199)
  • Exploration of research, Departmental Honors, internship/career opportunities, and study abroad
  • Graduation checks

Contact Us

Please include your name and UID in all emails.

Email us if you need accommodations for same day or outside office hours appointments.

Undergraduate Advising:

 Graduate Advising: 

  Current UCLA undergraduate students can make an advising appointment with Yumi or Olivia at MY.UCLA APPOINTMENT SCHEDULER. Please select "International & Area Studies and Global Health Advising" Option. The appointment will be cancelled if you're not present (online or in person) within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.

 If you're not a UCLA student, please e-mail us at the corresponding email as noted above.  

  Bunche Hall 10256 & 10254 (10th floor)

    (310) 206-6571 (note that because we are working remotely, we will take longer to respond to phone inquiries. We strongly suggest to send us an email or make an appointment for a zoom meeting).

Mailing Address:
Academic Advisor
UCLA International Institute Academic Programs
Office of Academic Advising
10256 Bunche Hall, Mail Code 148703
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487

For other questions or concerns, please review the following information:

Refer to your main Counseling Unit for questions about GE/IGETC Requirements, Course Add/Drop Petitions, Degree Plan Contracts, College-specific requirements, Holds, Grad Checks, Academic Probation status, Readmission, etc.

Questions about registration, fees, classes, etc.

Economic & Technological Resources

General Information from UCLA