Related Career Links
In response to the rising concerns/questions from students seeking international careers, the Burkle Center provides students with international career panels, career-minded audio podcasts, informative handouts, and updates on the latest calls for internships in the LA area.
The Burkle Center sponsors international career panels to provide insight about various internationally-themed professions. Join us for an opportunity to hear leaders in the field of international affairs speak candidly about what they did after graduation and how today's recent graduates can prepare for a career in international affairs. These panels are produced in large part by the Burkle Center Event Facilitator Interns.
- Fall Quarter Career Panel: International For-Profit Careers - click here to view last year's panel!
- Spring Quarter Career Panel: International Non-Profit Careers - click here to view last year's panel!
- Winter Quarter Career Panel 2010: click here to read about the presenters and what they talked about.
Audio Podcasts - Career Information
- Careers in International Law and Diplomacy by UCLA Deputy Director Anna Spain and 2007-08 UCLA Diplomat-in-Residence Peter Kovach
- 14 Points for Success - Commencement address by the 39th Foreign Minister of Thailand and UCLA Regents Professor Dr. Kantathi Suphamongkhon
- Discussion on A Career in Journalism by UCLA Professor and syndicated Asian columnist Tom Plate and former United Press International and Dow Jones reporter James F. Paradise
- Your Focus is the World - Commencement address by Gen. Wesley K. Clark, (ret.), former Supreme Allied Commander of NATO and Burkle Center Senior Fellow
- Coming soon: audio interviews between Burkle Interns and UCLA Faculty from various backgrounds and professions!
Career Packets & Handouts
- International Careers Handout - an 18-page resource for students interested in International Careers and Opportunities. Download File: IR_CareersHandout.pdf.pdf
- International Relations Opportunities at UCLA - a 2 page resource for UCLA students! Download File: IR_at_UCLA.pdf
- International Relations Opportunities in Los Angeles - a 1 page resource for UCLA students! Download File: IR_in_Los_Angeles.pdf
- UCLA Career Center's Library of Intl. Career Books
- ATHGO (Positions available for research overseas, event planning in LA, online assistance, etc.)
- Center for American Progress
- CDC Public Health Associate Program (PDF, Deadline: March 1, 2011)
- Human Rights Watch (Positions available in LA under the Children’s Rights Division & Development/Outreach)
- IGCC Paid Summer Internship in Washington, DC
- International Visitors Council of LA
- Pacific Council on International Policy
- (UCLA) Asia Media (Positions available in journalism, multimedia training and web design.)
- (UCLA) Asia Pacific Arts
- (UCLA) Burkle Center for International Relations
- (UCLA) The IDS Major sponsors a GREAT weblink for information on careers and internships
- US State Department
- World Affairs Council – Los Angeles
- TIP: If you are interested in a particular country, try to contact the Los Angeles area Consulate for the country and see if they have opportunities for students to intern or volunteer there. Consulate websites usually offer additional links of opportunities.
- TIP: Visit the UCLA Center for Community Learning and earn credit for your internship
- TIP: Volunteering is a great way to learn or hone in on highly valuable skills and looks great on any resume.
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: (UCLA) Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (Teach an English Conversation Class for 8 weeks and meet some great fellow UCLA students and community members!)
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: (UCLA) Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (Volunteer with the Dashew Center and help with student orientation and internationally themed event hosting.)
- VOLUNTEER OPPORUNITY: (UCLA) Global Business Brigades - a secular, international network of students and business professionals whose mission is to travel to developing countries to assist in local economic development by providing business solutions to microenterprises in rural villages with limited access to resources
UCLA Career Center
For additional information on international careers, advising and other services, please visit the UCLA Career Center:
UCLA Career Center 501 Westwood Plaza (at Strathmore)
Floors Two and Three
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1573
Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm
UCLA Career Center's Internships and International Opportunities Division
UCLA Career Center's Library of Intl. Career Books
Published: Thursday, October 08, 2009