Students are eligible to receive up to $500 in travel funds. Conference paper abstracts must demonstrate how the applicant's project will advance the knowledge of MENA societies, histories, or cultures. Priority is given to projects with a focus on the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.
Fall & Winter Quarter Conferences
Application Deadline: November 22, 2019 at 11:59 pm (PST)
The application deadline has passed.
Spring Quarter & Summer Conferences
Application Deadline: March 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm (PST)
Apply HERE: https://ucla.in/2O4bEdS
HOW TO APPLY
All elements of the fellowship application are online and must be submitted by the advertised deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for funding. Any elements to be uploaded should be PDF format, with the file extension appended.
1. Abstract (no more than 400 words): provide a title and description of your conference paper. Must demonstrate how your project will advance the knowledge of MENA societies, histories, or cultures (if this is not self-evident from the abstract, please ensure that you have addressed it in a few additional sentences). Must demonstrate how your project will advance knowledge of MENA societies, histories, or cultures. Include how your research will address pedagogical concerns or generate innovative approaches to teaching, and how it will engage and inform expertise and contribute to areas of national need including government service, business, the non-profit sector, and academia.
2. Confirmation of paper acceptance: conference program or other proof (e.g. email from conference organizers) that your paper has been accepted for inclusion in the conference.
3. Itemized budget: documented estimate for travel may include lodging, ground transportation, meals, and airfare (include actual itinerary and quote from an airline or travel website). Please note that the use of funds for international travel requires at least 45 days advanced approval and must comply with the Fly America Act.
FELLOWSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
• All application materials must be submitted online by the advertised deadline.
• Emailed submissions are not accepted.
• CNES travel grants may only be used to cover costs including airfare, conference registration fees, accommodation/hotel costs, and ground transportation costs, and meals (up to university approved limits).
• Grantees will be reimbursed for travel after the trip is complete and will not receive travel funds in advance of the conference. Allow three (3) weeks of processing time once you have submitted items A and B below. If items are incomplete or if original receipts are not submitted or itemized, then it can significantly delay the reimbursement process.
A. Once travel has been completed, grantees must submit original, itemized receipts showing proof of payment (e.g. e-ticket or passenger receipt or invoice with form of payment clearly indicated, itemized hotel invoice). If payment information is not listed on the receipt please submit a redacted credit card statement with conference cost highlighted.
B. Please include information regarding your research methodologies and how the grant enhanced your training and professional development.
• Grant information, application procedures, and submitted reimbursement materials to:
Johanna Romero, CNES Program Manager, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org