CNES awards summer dissertation writing fellowships between $2,000 - $4,000. MENA related topics may cover any time period. Project descriptions must demonstrate how the dissertation will advance knowledge of MENA history, societies, or cultures.
We urge awardees to attend CNES events. The full schedule of programs can be found here.
1. Curriculum vitae (no more than three (3) pages of 12-point font)
2. Unofficial university transcripts
3. Timeline for the remaining writing, revision, and filing of the dissertation
4. A Short Bibliography (no more than five)
5. Summary of dissertation project (maximum two (2) double-spaced pages of 12-point font);
Briefly describe the dissertation in terms that can be understood by an academic audience who may not specialize in your chosen field. Explain how your research will address pedagogical concerns or generate innovative approaches to teaching and advance knowledge of MENA societies, histories, or cultures. The description of the project should present the following, as appropriate to the subject:
· The question(s), thesis or hypothesis being addressed;
· The project’s scope and research approach or methodology;
· A synopsis of any preliminary findings, results and/or analysis;
· The significance, creativity, originality and/or and impact of the work.
6. Letter of recommendation: include one letter of recommendation from the applicant's principal faculty advisor/committee chair. The recommender should address the relevance of the proposed research for the applicant's dissertation project, as well as the applicant's overall academic and professional potential. All recommendations must be submitted through the online system by the advertised deadline. The applicant will provide the name and contact information of the recommender in the online application; once the application has been submitted, the recommender will receive an automated email instructing them where and how to upload their recommendation. Applicants should therefore ensure that they submit the application well in advance of the advertised deadline, and that they have provided the correct contact information for their recommender. A submitted application can be edited up until the deadline.
The student application is available HERE.
The deadline for submission is March 17, 2022.
For more information please contact:
Johanna Romero, CNES Program Manager