Tuesday, November 16, 2021
1:00 PM - 1:45 PM (Pacific Time)
Learn about the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship designed to support summer intensive study of Middle East and North African (MENA) and Southeast Asian languages. This fellowship supports both graduate and undergraduate students to study eligible languages at Intermediate level or higher. Students in all disciplines are invited to attend the virtual information session!
Approved MENA languages: Arabic, Armenian, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish
Approved Southeast Asian languages: Burmese, Indonesian, Filipino/Tagalog, Hmong, Lao, Khmer, Thai and Vietnamese
- Graduate or undergraduate student at UCLA
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Study an eligible MENA or Southeast Asian language at intermediate or advanced level
- UCLA students must be enrolled in an intensive summer language program at a U.S. university or abroad (pending university approval for international travel).
- Take a before and after oral proficiency examination with a designated instructor.
- Submit one final online report after the end of the program.
- Report to the U.S. Department of Education every two years for eight years after graduation on the recipient’s occupation and the extent to which the FLAS language is being used.
Summer 2021 fellowships provide a stipend of $2,500 plus tuition and fees to a maximum of $5,000, and (optional) up to $1,000 for travel (if UCLA allows travel during award period). FLAS funds may be used for intensive summer language study.
For more information about the Center for Near Eastern Studies Summer 2022 FLAS awards, please click here.
For more information about the Center for Southeast Asian Studies Summer 2022 FLAS, please click here.
To attend this info session, register here.
Sponsor(s): Center for Near Eastern Studies, Center for Southeast Asian Studies