The Fall 2024 application deadline has been extended to February 1, 2024


Note that the Latin American Studies graduate program offers a Master's degree (M.A.) only.  There is no PhD in Latin American Studies offered at UCLA.

General admissions information, instructions about applying, and the online application for admission can be found at UCLA’s Graduate Division Website.

The deadline to apply to the Latin American Studies interdepartmental graduate program for the academic year beginning in the Fall 2024 quarter is February 1, 2024.

All materials must be complete before the application is considered.

The following materials are required components of the admission application:

  • Application form completed via UCLA Graduate Division’s Admissions Website

  • Statement of purpose (Up to 500 words in length. Follow the UCLA Online Application instructions.).  Statement of purpose should describe academic, Latin America-related experience. Applicants may include information about their academic achievements and goals for study at UCLA.

  • Personal Statement (Up to 500 words in length. Follow the UCLA Online Application instructions.).  Personal Statement is an opportunity to provide additional information that may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for graduate study at UCLA. It will also be used to consider candidates for the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship.  Instructions are provided in the application as well, you can also  see some prompts here.

  • A research paper or other writing sample that well demonstrates writing and analytical skills (10 pages maximum). The goal of the writing sample is to demonstrate your ability to write professionally and clearly. For that reason, the writing sample should be written in English.

  • Three letters of recommendation preferably from former or current professors or from other individuals who can attest to applicant's ability to succeed in graduate study. Letters should be uploaded via the online application system.

  • Graduate Record Examination scores (use Institution Code 4837, Department Code 5199)

  • Transcript.  An unofficial transcript may be uploaded via on-line admission application. Official copies of transcripts (only from the institution where you received an Undergraduate or Graduate degree) must be sent to the program's office in a sealed envelope.  If transcript is not in English, an authorized translation has to be provided. Applicants do not need to send official copies of transcripts from community college or study abroad programs.  Official transcripts should  be sent to the program's office after the student is notified about admission to the program.

  •  TOEFL scores (international applicants only).  Applicants who hold a degree from a university located in U.S. or another country where English is both a primary spoken language and the language of instruction, or who have completed at least two years of full time study at such institution are not required to submit TOEFL scores.  For more information please review English Requirements


Financial Assistance for Entering Students

- Graduate Opportunity Fellowship for Entering Students. Students submit application for the award along with the online application to the Latin American  Studies program. The fellowship offers fees, non-resident tuition (if applicable) and a stipend to qualified applicants.   Eligibility:  U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or undocumented students who qualify for nonresident supplemental tuition exemptions under AB 540.  

- Latin American  Studies Program fellowships, including Sandra Mabritto fellowships.  Amounts vary.  

- Information for students with AB540 or DACA status can be found here.     

Latin American Studies M.A. Program Inquiries:


UCLA International Institute
Latin American Studies Graduate Admissions
10256  Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487


Admissions Information Session, October 26, 2023

The links shared during the info session are available here. 

Latin American Studies offers joint degrees with several programs at UCLA. Those concurrent and articulated degree programs allow students to complete both degrees in less time than the sequential completion. Articulated degree programs allow certain number of courses to be applied to both degrees, while articulated degrees do not allow any course overlap. Applicants who would like to pursue both degrees need to submit separate application to each school and be admitted to both programs.

Concurrent Degree Programs
Students in concurrent degree programs can overlap up to two courses between the programs, via petition.

M.A./Latin American Studies - M.U.R.P./Urban Planning
Danielle Maris Lacob , Graduate Advisor
Department of Urban Planning
3250 Public Affairs Building
(310) 825-7331


M.A./Latin American Studies - M.B.A./ John E. Anderson Graduate School of Management
Jessica Chung, Associate Director, MBA Admissions
UCLA Anderson
Gold Hall, Suite B201
(310) 825-6944

Articulated Degrees
Articulated degrees do not allow course overlap between the degrees.

M.A./Latin American Studies - M.L.I.S./Information Studies
Michelle Maye, Graduate Advisor
Department of Information Studies
207 GSE&IS Bldg.
(310) 825-5269

M.A./Latin American Studies-M.P.H./School of Public Health
Sukhwinder Sagoo, Admissions Officer
School of Public Health
16-071 Center for the Health Sciences (CHS)
(310) 825-5524

General inquires regarding the M.A. in Latin American Studies should be addressed to:

Yumi Kinoshita, Academic Advisor
UCLA International Institute
Latin American Studies M.A. Program
10256 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487
Telephone: (310) 206-6571


Schedule zoom meeting with the advisor here.  


Graduate & Postdoctoral Extramural Support (GRAPES) Database - Search Form

GRAPES is not a fellowship or scholarship, rather it is an extensive database created by UCLA to help graduate students search for funding opportunities from institutions all over the world. Graduate students in need of funding (from all disciplines) are encouraged to become very familiar with the GRAPES database, and to reference it regularly.   Funding opportunities stemming directly from UCLA are sometimes limited. With GRAPES, however, graduate students may search for hundreds of potential funding sources from many universities and institutions outside of UCLA.


UCLA Funding Opportunities

Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program (GOFP) for Incoming Students
This one-year fellowship program provides recipients with a stipend plus tuition (and nonresident supplemental tuition if necessary). The program supports a limited number of entering students pursuing either terminal or professional master's degrees.   Applicants must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or undocumented students who qualify for nonresident supplemental tuition exemptions under AB 540 (eligibility for undocumented AB540 students is effective January 1, 2013). The intent of this fellowship is to provide access to higher education for students who might otherwise find it difficult or impossible
to successfully pursue graduate study.


Sandra Mabritto Memorial Fellowship
Merit based fellowship for incoming and continuing students, including international students. Amounts vary.

Monica Salinas Summer Research Scholarship for continuing students.  Latin American Studies MA students and departmental scholars may apply for the scholarship to conduct research during the summer.  Applications available during the Winter quarter. 


Teaching Assistantships
Graduate students interested in teaching positions are encouraged to subscribe to the TA Marketplace group. Departments that need to fill TA vacancies post job announcements through that group. Students need to be registered in order to have access to the group announcements.

About 90% of our students who actively look for Teaching Assistantships are able to secure them. 


 Non-UCLA Fellowships

Boren Fellowship

Boren Fellowships provide funding for U.S. graduate students to study world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East). The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded. The fellowship is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only.  Maximum awards for the Boren Fellowships are $30,000. In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year. 


Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program

The U.S. Department of State funds about 600 students for summer language institutes abroad at various skill levels. CLS is a program of the U.S. Department of State and provides fully funded group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences for seven to ten weeks for U.S. citizen graduate students. Scholars will complete language coursework as well meeting with a native speaker language partner. Languages offered: Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bangla, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Turkish, and Urdu. Language levels are classified as Beginning, Advanced Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. The CLS Program provides undergraduate academic credit through Bryn Mawr College. Upon completion of the program, participants also receive a certified American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) score.


Payne International Development Fellowship

The Payne Fellowship is a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Program, administered by Howard University, which seeks to attract and prepare outstanding individuals for careers as USAID Foreign Service Officers. Candidates can be graduating seniors or college graduates with strong academic records and a desire to promote positive change in the world. The Payne program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service and those with financial need. Selected fellows will receive support for graduate school and gain employment with USAID in an exciting rewarding career in the Foreign Service.  Applicants must have U.S. citizenship and be seeking admission to graduate school for a two-year program in an area of relevance to the Foreign Service at a U.S.-based institution. Up to $22,000 annually toward tuition, fees and living expenses for a two-year master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as development, economics, public administration, business administration, global health, agriculture, or environmental science at a U.S.-based institution.


The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans

The purpose of the fellowship is to provide opportunities for continuing generations of able and accomplished New Americans to achieve leadership in their chosen field.  Application deadline is November 1st.





For students seeking housing near UCLA’s campus, there are a number of options provided by the university and by independent housing offices. Incoming students who have recently accepted an offer of admission will be contacted directly by the university via e-mail with details about how to apply for university housing. In general, most graduate students seeking university housing near campus will be competitive for housing agreements in the Weyburn Apartments.


Weyburn Terrace Apartments for Graduate Students

While university housing is not guaranteed, many students in the MA program are able to secure housing in the Weyburn Terrace Apartments next to campus. The Weyburn apartments are located right next to UCLA and are within walking distance of the main campus. In addition, a very convenient university bus route connects Weyburn to the university with shuttles arriving every few minutes.

Weyburn offers individual studio housing and housing for students seeking a roommate. Furnished and unfurnished housing options are both available. For detailed information about rates for Weyburn Terrace housing, please click here.

Parking is available for students who obtain housing in Weyburn Terrace. A parking permit for Weyburn may be applied for during the online application process.

Student housing is not managed by the MA program, however. As stated above, students who have recently committed to UCLA will be contacted by the university directly with information about how to apply for housing.


Non-University Housing Options

There are plenty of non-university housing options for incoming students. Craigslist is an excellent option for many students seeking housing near UCLA. Many UCLA students successfully find housing using websites such as Zuma Housing ,  Westside Rentals, ApartmentlistTrulia  , ApartmentGuide and Zillow.

Students often utilize Facebook Groups to connect with other students seeking housing in the area around Westwood. Some popular Facebook Groups are: "UCLA Sublets/Apartments," "UCLA Housing and Roommate Search,"  Be wary of scams, do not click on links that look suspicious (especially in the comment sections). 

The neighborhoods that are located in proximity to UCLA and have good bus connection to UCLA include:

  • Beverly Hills
  • Brentwood
  • Culver City
  • Mar Vista
  • Koreatown
  • Palms
  • Santa Monica
  • West Hollywood
  • West Los Angeles
  • Westwood

Parking options

A daily parking permit for on campus parking is $13.  

Students may also apply for quarterly parking permits, known as orange permits.  Commuter permits only secure parking at on-campus locations. Detailed information concerning parking permits including deadlines to apply may be found here.  Parking rates for students can be found here.

Public Transportation

Students who find off-campus housing may also use the many convenient bus routes that connect UCLA to the greater LA area:

  • Students residing "South of Wilshire" may utilize the free Bruin Bus
  • Students residing in Culver City and Palms will find the Culver City Bus very accessible.
  • Students residing in Santa Monica, Mar Vista, West Hollywood may easily commute to campus by using the Big Blue Bus.
  • Los Angeles County Metro (bus and rail) allows students to commute from many other areas of Los Angeles.
  • You can use Metro Trip Planner to find the best bus connection when traveling around Los Angeles.

The practicality of commuting to campus using city bus lines will be determined by the distance between the student’s housing and UCLA. While extremely affordable, some students may experience commutes of up to an hour in each direction to and from campus. Students are encouraged to consider all these factors while selecting appropriate housing.

Obtaining California Residency for Tuition Purposes

Out of state students can apply for California residency after completing their first year at UCLA. If approved, students will be able to pay the in-state tuition during their second or any subsequent year at UCLA. For more information, such as required documentation and deadlines to apply please visit the Registrar’s website.

Please note that this information does not apply to international students.



Yumi Kinoshita, Academic Advisor


Prospective students/applicants can email us at:   


Current UCLA students (UID required) can contact the advising office as follows:   

 Email:  (Please include UID in their emails) 

  Make a Zoom  advising appointment

  To schedule an in-person appointment please email 

  Bunche Hall, Room 10256 (10th floor)

Mailing Address:

UCLA International Institute Academic Programs
Office of Academic Advising
10256 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487